HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Soldering Problem

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Yeah, the 'blip' is a dead- (ha ha, sorry for the pun) giveaway. You *murdered* a LED. Go get a resistor, and a new LED and try again. Killer.

-- I
    -------------------------------
    http://www.fx13studios.com

2. Default  
    Yeah, the 'blip' is a dead- (ha ha, sorry for the pun) giveaway. You *murdered* a LED. Killer.
    Hopefully it didn't have any family.

And you need to make sure the red lead is attached to the pin that is connected to the flag in the led (HOT).
    Pin? Flag? Whosajigawha?
    Last edited by Smiley; 04-01-2008 at 06:57 PM.

3. Default  
    I think the "flag" Gore Galore is referring to how when you look inside the LED one lead goes to a larger piece of metal (the one with the die and the reflector cup) than the other one. GG said hook the red wire to the "flag" pin but I've run into more negative "flag" pins than positive. The truth is there isn't really a standard for which pin gets the die so I usually just find the polarity by hooking it up and trying it.

Of course, always make sure to use your current-limiting resistor.

...unless that is part of your haunt. Killing LEDs in front of a live audience might be too graphic for some people. You should post a warning outside in your queue line.

4. Default  
    Okay, okay. What if.....

I hook up eight 5mm LEDs (20mA each/forward current of 17.6 total) to a 18volt battery source and use a 22 ohm 1/8W resistor? How's that?
    Last edited by Smiley; 04-01-2008 at 08:04 PM.

5. Default  
    In series of parallel? This is an important question.

6. Default  
    Umm....parallel circuit.

7. Default  
    Young man, I suggest you take some basic night classes in electricity and electronics. Otherwise, you are going to be dangerous around components and circuits.

( In parallel, 18 volts is going to burn out a lot of LEDs)

8. Default  
    Bah. Forget it. I'll just buy a pre-assembled set.

9. Default  
    Ideally you would have a separate resistor for each LED. 9v will drive them all just fine, just make sure to choose the appropriate value resistors (if you post the voltage rating of your LEDs I can help you with that).

Also note that since you are drawing 160ma total you will probably get just shy of 2 hours out of a 9v battery. You may want to use a wall-wart instead.

Anyway, here's a quick schematic I drew of how you can hook up your 8 LEDs:
    Attached Images

10. Default  
    Ideally you would have a separate resistor for each LED. 9v will drive them all just fine, just make sure to choose the appropriate value resistors (if you post the voltage rating of your LEDs I can help you with that).

The LED's I plan on using are these: http://monsterguts.com/lighting-stro.../prod_115.html

Anyway, here's a quick schematic I drew of how you can hook up your 8 LEDs
    Ah, yes! Pictorial instructions! Now this I understand.

Also note that since you are drawing 160ma total you will probably get just shy of 2 hours out of a 9v battery.
    Two hours of run time, eh? :/
    Last edited by Smiley; 04-02-2008 at 12:23 AM.

Thread Information