HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: New member, new haunt...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default  
    Covering the top is entirely up to your firemarshal and what kind of fire department services your event. To have a covered top, generally everyone feels more comfortable with fire trucks and personel on site during the even seconds from being able to hook up and enter a building to evacuate people. Not down the street with a 20 minute responce time. This may be no problem as a campus might have their own?

The justification for a covered top is that it keeps the fog and haze contained that once out of the structure there is no visibility issues to exit. But, a fire marshal may just say no because of the availability of a sprinkler system. In some cases we can't even put a decorative half roof on a facade as it might cover 32 SF of the sprinkler systems function.

Other things you can do to make up for it are not hard, is have an exit, even an actor entry every 50 lineal feet through the maze. Have fire extinguishers in each room and more out on the behind the scenes. The patrons don't necessarily know these all lead to the outside corridor around the whole haunt but all the actors do.

A maze can be pulled off with 60 single sided walls costing $30 new painted. So, $2,000 there, everything else in the begining years, you try to get donated in exchange for free note of being a sponsor such as the fire extinguishers provided by ABC fire supply. Same for electrical harness and sound equipment where you may be lacking. $1250 to $2500 event insurance (unless the campus policy already covers this)

In any advertising and announcements, I would refrain from glorifying that this scary event benefits a theatrical endevor, even though it does. It should be on the fine print at the site but not the reason for the season. You will only end up with half as many show up if it is prejudged as some venue they normally would not attend like a play. In other words, you are entering an opportunity to introduce the mass public to theater and attending your plays but, they came to see a haunted house if you get my drift.

I know a bunch of theatrical types are going to say this isn't so, but, it is. There is nothing wrong with a haunted theatrical offering but, advertising as such can be a turn off to the non academic and that is who a majority of the customers are that will come from miles away for something to do.

60 and 80 miles from here I have just such a scenario. A haunt that is 20,000 SF that has everything going for it and been doing it for more than 20 years but their public service announcement says it benefits a theater organization. They see 2800 per year. The other is in a rural setting and hardly advertises and sees 8,000 patrons per year having only been there 8 years. Then a highly theatrical scene driven haunt I know sees 25,000 and it only has the name of a haunt and a story of a haunt. In fact is is a long standing boy scout organization. Many of these are in towns census wise less than 500 proper.

In a way, saying it is for a charity or a greater good in todays consumer world means it isn't great because all the money goes to the charity. The would be patron wants to pay for a good experience, not 20 percent of an experience being offered and 80 percent absconded with. Or at least this is the perception. Only a 50 year old might understand the donation part. So no reason to confuse them, just get them there and they will like it.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

2. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    People are strange.
    After a couple paid for their group's rental of my house for a Murder/Mystery the wife said in a mean tone of voice,"I SUPPOSE THAT YOU WILL JUST USE THAT MONEY WE PAID YOU TO PAY A LIGHT BILL OR A WATER BILL?"
    What do you say to this? The tone I mean? Of course I will be using this money to pay a bill, this is how I make my living.
    Maybe I was supposed to tell her I was going to use "their" $120 to raise Dracula from the dead? Finance the next Mars probe? Start an eventual multi-billion dollar company selling waxed toilet paper?

If I charged people a dollar for each minute they were in my tour, admission would be $90. Of course they may back-charge me for the gas to drive three hours from Chicago and with hold money for having to stand in line for 45 minutes, but then, the very inexpensive booze they have at Charlie's next door all makes everything "peachy". (Too "Peachy" and they won't get in my door, though...)

3. Default  
    That, what she said sounds judgemental like that's why you just sold some hubcaps.

The proper responce should be wait 90 minutes and then guess what your money will be used for. There IS going to be a quizz.

What she said proves she is very un community minded, somewhat greedy and of lower income. But, venting it on others somehow makes her frustration okay. Plus I'm guessing prejudging in the first room or before even entering.

I would give (if I could remember) the full tour as if nothing had insulted me, then on the walk back to the cars. Okay, what do you think I'm going to do with the money.

A) Save it and then next 20 tours money combined to pay some bill
    B) Make sure the lights stay on so others can have a good time here
    C) Pay a therapist so I can forget how rude you were 90 minutes ago?
    D) Buy a wheel barrow full of fish food.

Your answer? and then sing the jepardy song. Goodnight! then go ninja.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

4. Default  
    A big ninja puff of smoke at the Hudson trunk. Jim's gone, no questions answered. Something to ponder a very long time. To worry if the lights are going to stay on at the nursing home.

5. Default  
    Have you ever sent anyone head first down the bad dream bed? There can be extra special shows!

6. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    They walk into my first room, the hand comes up, "I have a question."
    "$5.00 a question." "Do you have a rest room?"
    "Yes, and I will sell you a map to it for only $5.00 more, it's printed on toilet paper so you don't give it to your friends."

Thread Information