HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Besides fire Marshall approval, what eles is needed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Besides fire Marshall approval, what eles is needed? 
    I am in the process of opening a haunted factory, I have already talked to the Fire marshall, what other permits or licenses do most haunted houses need? I know it vary's by state and town, but basically
    SYTHLOR
    Doug Crawford owner
    Rockville Fear Factory Llc
    Vernon Ct, 06084

2. Default  
    I have a permanent location, but I am only open 13 nights a year. I am required to have a special events permit which is issued by my county's building codes enforcement division. In order to obtain the permit and open my haunt, I have to pass building, fire and electrical inspections each year. In some jurisdictions you may be required to obtain a certificate of occupancy vs. a special events permit. As you mention, requirements vary by jurisdiction. Contact your local building codes enforcement division and make sure you have all of your bases covered before opening. Nothing worse than being shut down! You will also need liability insurance for your event.
    Last edited by MindWerxKMG; 04-12-2008 at 07:29 AM.
    Kevin
    Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC / Folklore Haunted House

3. Default  
    Thanks for the info, Ill do that, i did check into ins. I,ve got another question, Can a town refuse to give you a permit even tho u have all the required elements?
    I mean can they deside they just do want a haunted house?
    SYTHLOR
    Doug Crawford owner
    Vernon Ct, 06084

4. Default  
    The answer is yes. If you are not wanted, you can be refused the permits. I have heard stories were potential haunt owners have been told point blank by city officials that "we do not want a haunt in our jurisdiction."
    Kevin
    Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC / Folklore Haunted House

5. Default  
    Well now that I think about it , this town has two strip clubs ,so Maybe I dont have to worry lol ,
    SYTHLOR
    Doug Crawford owner
    Vernon Ct, 06084

6. Default PM 
    Just sent you a PM...

7. Default  
    Besides what what already suggested (building, electrical, fire, special events) you will need a basic business license, either a county or city license, usually a state license, a tax ID number, plus you need a DBA for your business and possibly or your event. You see it's quite simple... the more permits, the more money!!!

I had a permit once that was for $500. When I asked the clerk what the purpose of the permit was I was told..."It's $500" I know what it costs, but what is it for? "It's for $500!!!"

We do not charge a sales tax for admission tickets, but to get other permits you need the state license which is a sales tax permit. So each year the state would have to issue us a letter that stated we were exempt from the sales tax (unless you sell t-shirts etc). After a few years of this the state just decides it's easier to charge us than give us a letter. So now we need a permit no matter, and it costs a $100! We're still exempt, now just exempt for $100!! It's a legal way to "print money".
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

8. Default  
    I am finding out quickly that everyone has a hand out. thank you all for the info it helps.
    SYTHLOR
    Doug Crawford owner
    Vernon Ct, 06084

9. Default  
    are these charges, mentioned above, a yearly thing?
    how long does it take to get various permits/paper work approved?
    when should someone start getting the paper work process in motion (as soon as they find a builiding, about halfway before the show opens?)
    Last edited by jason; 04-17-2008 at 03:56 AM.

10. Default Definitely not halfway before you open 
    Jason, That is way, way, way too late. What if you aren't approved? All that time, money and effort would be wasted. Actually, in most cases you need approval before you commit to the building. Why sign a lease, make a deposit and start setting things up only to find that you are going to have problems with permits?

Thread Information