HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: looking 2 go pro?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default A big part of it depends on where you are 
    There is a big disparity in rent/permit/advertising costs from state to state, county to county, and city to city.

2. Default  
    All I can saw is Its going to be alot of time and money spent.

3. Default Infoamtek 
    Why are you always angry, lighten up, and cut out the insults, you're making yourself look silly acting that way.

4. Default  
    hauntedhousenut, who are you talking to? If its me, I wasnt angry when I posted that, or being mean I hardly ever am

5. Default Not you 
    It was meant for Infoamtek

6. Default HauntedHouseNut 
    I think its PMS lmao!

7. Default You're Wrong... 
    It's actually Menopause. LOL

8. Default  
    I've been enjoying reading this thread, and have also enjoyed all the different points of view. The bitter insults were...um... different, but I'm relieved we've moved on from those. Overall, some very good information was passed along. I fear we might have scared Taylor off though! He probably thinks he started WW3 and that only rich people can get into this business.

Hopefully, he has realized by now that there is a big difference between starting a small haunt in a small town in a rented space, and letting it grow each year, compared to investing hundreds of thousands of dollars into a permanent location in a major metropolitan city where fire departments and building inspectors make opening any amusement VERY expensive.

None of us want to kill his interest in this, but none of us want to see him lose his shirt either. I guess if he's really that interested, reading a few books on the subject and helping a few other commercial haunts would be interesting for him and very helpful in the long run. It's true that bad haunts help turn the public off of haunted houses in general, but I've seen a lot of very expensive haunted houses that all use the same exact props and scare factory toys, so throwing money at it is not always a good solution either. Who knows, Taylor may get a deal on a location, have some great supporting organization (drama club, or key club, or who knows what) and have some friends who know about construction and electronics. In a smaller town, this could be the only fun halloween event of the season. We shouldn't assume his circumstances are the same as ours, and the truth is, he told us very little about where he is or what sort of resources he has at his diposal. We could be pleasantly surprised how this story turns out.

On a darker note, I was told by someone who contacted me from this forum a very funny quote, kinda cynical, but still fun, worth repeating here. I'm sure most of you have all heard it, but Taylor probably has not, so for his amusement and warning, he goes:

"The Best way to make a small fortune in the haunted house business is to start with a large fortune." Not that everyone loses money in this biz, but a lot more do that you might think. I took over our haunt after two other owners went bankrupt in succession. And every year as the up-front expenses increase, I wonder, "Will I make it all back?" On a happy note, the answer has always been YES (so far). But don't forget the liability insurance, Taylor, because what one hand earneth, the slimy claws of vampire lawyers can taketh away!

And Taylor, if you ARE still out there reading this thread, let us know what you decide and how it turns out. We all want you to make the RIGHT decision, we just can't agree on what that decision is. (So the ball is right where it should be: In your court!)

9. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Briggs Cunningham raced at Lemans in the early 1950's with a hybrid car that had Chrysler Hemis in them, and he said:"The way to make a small fortune in the car business is to start with a large fortune".
    Which he did.
    One of the Pharohs may have also said something similar though.
    I also have a very politically incorrect joke book printed in 1936 with some of the same celebrity jokes printed as were being told 30 years later except the names of the celebritys changed to current ones.
    Maybe this is what is meant by "What goes around comes around." (Over and over)

10. Default  
    Infoamtech, you can stop with your personal messages since Im going to add you to my ignore list. The funny thing is you will be the the only one on it. I will not get in a war of words with you because its a waste of time and Im 39 years old.You are 52? I would never have guessed. I come to this fourm for the same reason Taylor does for the true knowledge of the pros that I respect and look to for advice and answers.Taylor,and the rest of you, I apoligize for waisting your time and space on a fantastic fourm.

Thread Information