HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Just wondering......

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. Default hmm 
    The Tw haunt section had less vendors than the MHC convention.

Would you like to argue some more?
    After you have asked me to stop?
    I don't think....I know

enough already
    Gee could it get any better than this?

2. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrightner View Post
    Hey Ken,

Why don't you ask the vendors which show made them more money. Enough said! This is a business, and vendors need to make money, that is how they pay their bills, as you pay your bills from your job or your haunt or whatever.

MHC did not have more vendors than TW but if you think they did great, but who cares. What matters is writing orders. Why don't you go call all those vendors, do a poll and get back to me and tell me what you find out.

Larry

I'm sure vendors did better at TW- BUT, Do you think if MHC was prior to Transworld it might change things a little?

3. Default  
    A few points:

In my opinion, MHC had more pure haunt related vendors than Transworld. I counted them. Not more vendors but those selling traditional haunt merchandise.

As I mentioned in the other thread, many vendors have told me that MHC is the most profitable show for them. Writing orders does not always equate to profit.

Now, a serious question for Larry. Using your foliage vendor example, do you think they would write enough business to make them return the following year? There are a number of other types of vendors I could go after for MHC (I certainly have the space) but my concern is whether they would do enough business to make it worthwhile. The goal is not to get a bunch of vendors for one year, it is to grow a show as we have done with MHC.

4. Default  
    WHEN a show is in the year makes a difference to me. We now make MOST of our major haunt equipment style purchases in November/December. We make the rest at the Transworld show. We are always LOOKING of course, and may pick up some smaller items at Hauntcon and MHC, but it is just too late for big stuff. Of course we might buy from a vendor we saw at Hauntcon or MHC the FOLLOWING year.

We have found it is just too risky and down to the wire to buy big complex items in the summer and to hope that they will come before we open. All of you who have had a big empty hole in your show in late August early September know what I mean.

I like these regional shows because they sometimes turn up smaller vendors we might not have otherwise seen, guys with some cool item or concept that is the icing on the cake. Cash and carry is good! Not so good when you fly however.

We will go where the vendors go - early is better! It would also be nice to see new smaller vendors early as well, but I guess that factors into booth availability.

MHC was a blast - we had 13 people there, and we acted, toured places, had fun at the party etc. It was a good time! No downside really, just we were pretty much done buying, thats all.

Thanks!

Ben
    NETHERWORLD
    Ben Armstrong
    NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
    www.Fearworld.com
    www.NetherworldNetwork.com

5. Default  
    This is what I was alluding to. The earlier show is going to get the most orders regardless. I'm worried about getting stuff I ordered from TW in time -never mind ordering something in June. I'm sure most knowledgeable buyers are the same way

Also, I am willing to bet vendors got orders at MHC they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I know I took advantage of some cash and carry. I'm not saying I wouldn't have spent the money, but it probably wouldn't have been with that particular vendor

6. Default  
    Gravestalker,

I agree with you completely! MHC has carved out a niche that we saw. There is a market for people who have definite plans/needs once they start planning for the upcoming season hence the large cash and carry business that is transacted here.

If nothing else the upcoming few years will be very interesting for our industry. Either way, plan on coming back to Columbus next June 5-7.

7. Default  

8. Default  
    Barry,

Let me answer your question in two ways...

RESPONSE FROM THE BUYER SIDE OF MY BUSINESS:

I would never wait until June to buy. I would never got to MHC to buy in June or from any other show. We start planning our haunted house in October when we are looking at it on a daily basis. You really see what you like and don't like when you look it every single night.

Additionally, we unlike most do not wait around from even the Transworld show to build our haunt. We start building it and work on the attraction during open spots from building attractions for our clients. We could be working on our haunt in Decemeber just depends how busy we are.

Additonally I don't want to go to a show to see a vendors two booth exhibit I want to see their 10 booth exhibit. At these smaller shows the vendors bring smaller items, and that is of no interest to me. If your show was the main show, and Scarefactory as an example was coming with 20 booths I would come.

If Scarefactory said they're going to your show with 2 booths I would not come.

Secondly by the time June rolls around even new vendors who you might buy a little something from has already posted on forums like these and I already heard or seen their product on their website.

I wouldn't want to go to a show just to see their one booth with their one cool product...that is why they have a website.

I will give you an example... Skull Tronix. They posted their new talk bust after TW, I saw that I loved it, I had to have it...I called them and bought it. I do not need to travel to a tradeshow to buy it.

I will go to a tradeshow if I can see EVERYTHING IN ONE PLACE...

I'm offering my views on what it will take to get me to a how with my check book. If that show was yours, if your show became the haunt only show, and all of these vendors came to your show with all of their booths I would come and so would everyone else.

If that is your goal that is what you would have to accoplish to make it happen.

I think most buyers would agree.

Right now it doesn't seem we have a show so maybe your show will be THE SHOW... and if that happened I would be there with bells on.

RESPONSE AS A VENDOR...

I would not attend a smaller show because time is money. Even if I went to a smaller show and made a profit it took me away from my shop where I make product, or fill orders, or even talk business. Making a small profit isn't always worth what you lose from being away from filling existing orders.

People sometimes learn this the hard way I know I have.

I'm sure if I would have come to your show I'm sure I could have sold some videos, some magazines, and maybe some banners but the time away from the shop would more than make it a loss for us.

You must get a large percentage of industry buyers to support large booth or bring out major vendors.

NOW...

To do that you must spend a massive amount of money on marketing. I did some figures and a haunt only show to bring in real buyers from everywhere would cost around $40,000 to $60,000.00 dollars.

Also you would have to move the show into March or even sooner.

As it stands now almost ALL MAJOR VENDORS want a show in January.

Let me make a Hanfodamous prediction here...

There will eventually be a haunt only show and the show will happen in January or February NOT March.

I will make one more... Transworld will move their main show in 2010 and it will not be in March but in February. This industry both retail and haunt needs more production time not less.

June is too late. May is too late. April still too late. March now well basically still too late.

Larry

9. Default  
    Barry,

To answer your other question...

I feel a foilage company at a major haunt show would write 50k in orders and ultimatly for the year through the leads they gained would sell more than $250,000.00 in product if not a half a million.

I know our company alone wrote $30,000 in orders with Autograph Foilage ourself in one years time.

It doesn't take too many attractions at 3k here or 5k there or 8k there to add up quick.

Larry

10. Default  
    Larry,
    Thank you for the responses. Towards the first response, as I mentioned, MHC found a niche and it has been successful. It was never targeted at the major haunts but more at the people who could not afford to go, or who were not welcome at, Transworld. So I understand your position. As for the timing, that is the tricky part. A lot of haunt vendors say January, and even February, is too early. If the "major vendors" need an earlier show they should consider doing a showcase type event and fly in their major buyers.

Towards the second response, thank you for your buying numbers. I would like to know if anyone else reading this thread buys in that quantity from a foliage vendor. I am trying to gauge how seriously I should try recruiting other types of vendors.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-21-2008 at 07:24 AM.

Thread Information