HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Tom's Wheel of Death

1. Default Tom's Wheel of Death 
    Hey guys,

Well I finally got around to posting some pics of my "Wheel of Death".
    It's built from a huge spool wheel (almost 7' tall). I built the frame from 2x4s and 2x6s. I tried a lazy susan originally but only lasted a few weeks before shelling the bearings/casing. This wheel is very heavy. So I went with a 1" shaft, a couple of bearings and a 12vac gearmotor with a tire attached to spin the wheel. Works pretty good but I might try adding in a sprocket system if I have anymore problems with it.
    Oh, the motor is a 13rpm motor with a 10' wheel. It's rotation speed is perfect for my use. It's kinda kreepy too because it creaks as it's turning. Just the way I like it.
    Anyway, just wanted to share and fuel the imagination.
    Tom
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom; 06-11-2008 at 03:54 AM.
    Tom
    Creator of the Dungeon
    WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

2. Default One more 
    One more pic
    Attached Images
    Tom
    Creator of the Dungeon

3. Default  
    Cool idea. You know, a lot of carnival rides are set up so spinning tires turn the rides. Just like you did.

4. Default  
    Hey Shawn,

I appreciate the thought. But "ouch", please keep carnival rides out of this. It sickens me to think folks compare a carnie ride to an amusement attraction/ride (not to say you actually compared but the word carnie makes me sick). Those carnies setup, take your money, tear down and move on and have no idea how a haunted ride is supposed to be much less the love and devotion needed to satisfy costumers. Not to forget an 11,000 sq ft haunted ride is just a little big for those carnie guys to handle, LOL.

One thing I wanted to add, the wheel was free. The motor (ebay), shaft and bearings (local store) ran about $60.00 all together (if I remember right). Look at the local electric companies for a free weathered spool/wheel. At a certain point, they just get rid of them.

But again, I appreciate your thoughts,

P.S. I have a strobe flashing on the wheel with a blacklight which gives it a cool effect during the spinning action.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnc View Post
    Cool idea. You know, a lot of carnival rides are set up so spinning tires turn the rides. Just like you did.
    Tom
    Creator of the Dungeon

Thread Information