HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Trailer Haunt Layout

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Again with the "Zig Zag" 
    I guess no matter how hard we try, we probably can't get away from the basic "zig zag" pattern of a trailer haunt design because of the narrow width although, Rich Strelak of the Asylum and Hotel Fear in Las Vegas did something in these trailer haunts which I think was pretty cleaver. He built small rooms along the way where you would have to walk along the outer wall of the trailer past a room to one side or the other with actors, animatronics, etc. Small rooms. After the room, you turn and then work your way into the next scene. Another trick he employed was to add doors along some walls so you really wouldn't know how big or small the trailer haunt is. The Asylum is featured in Haunt World the Movie Part 16. Very good lights on tour.

My trailer haunt plan would feature a 90* trailer layout. Simply put, when you are exiting one trailer, you take a hard left or right turn into the next one, zig zag your way through, hard left or right turn into the next coach and so on. This way, you just back one trailer into the side of another, and another, etc. This eliminates the need to build connecting passage bridges between the trailers. Just set it up like you're backing up to a loading dock. The exterior of the trailers would have to be painted up and/or facade pieces added. Don't forget to build your ramps to meet ADA standards. In a nut shell, if you have semi-trailers for your haunt, the trailer floor where your customers will be walking is approximately 48" above ground level. This means you need 48' of ramp to meet the standard but it can't just be 48' of straight ramp. You need a level point about half way up from the entrance end and the same thing back down on the exit end. I think the requirement is a level turn around area no more than 32' from the start of the ramp but I'd have to double check that information to be sure. The level space has to be at least 4'. If your ramps are setup for a 180* turn on the way up, that turn area should be 4'x8'. This allows reasonable access for wheel chairs if necessary. All of my emergency exits will also be ramped the same way.

Steve....
    Last edited by Uptown Haunts; 07-08-2008 at 06:56 PM.
    UptownHaunts@aol.com

Nightmare Village......
    "Follow the Bloody Brick Road"

"Keep 'em Screaming!"
    Leonard Pickel

"Whatever, whatever", "Whatnot", "Dah, dah, dah, dah"
    Larry Kirchner

2. Default  
    Thanks for sharing pics, It looks pretty basic and it looks about how I had thought or seen on a video. Larrys seem a bit different I didnt know if you would be willing to share how Ravens Mansion is set up at Creepworld if its different. Thanks to everyone with info and sharing on this topic. This is great!
    Damon
    Damon Carson

3. Default  
    Upton Haunt,

Just a qick comment. I don't want it to appear that I've just been ignoring this thread. I'v actually been on an extensive road trip. I'm in Canada right now and I've had VERY limited internet access. I JUST found out TW is in St. Louis next year!! (Good luck Larry & Mark!!!)

A few quick comments...you mentioned "stacking" the trailers jsut side by side...
    remember you can never be more than 50 ft from an emergency exit.
    If you have more than 1,000 sq. ft in any unit you must have a sprinkler system.
    In some jurisdictions over a certain sq. ft puts you in an "A Occupancy" rating as a "Meeting Hall", there are also load occupancies, and total attendee numbers to consider. I have spent thousands of dollars learning some valuable lessons!!!

I think the trailer concept is a very viable alternative in certain situations. It may not be the answer for everyone, but it is a viable concept. As mentione in some of the posts, there are a few "tricks of the trade" just as there are in tent haunts, haunted trails and indoor haunts.

I won't be back in Vegas until next week. I'll check the thread then and see if I can add anything. I have several consulting contracts to finish for this season and then try and complete the changes in my own haunts!!! Boy it's gonna be HOT in Vegas...then add another 20 degrees INSIDE the trailers!!!
    Good luck!!

Rich
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

4. Default  
    One thing that im seeing on alot of "floorplans" is the entrance facing the same direction and close to the exit. Keep hem apart if possible. You dont want the people coming out of the attraction talking to the people about to go in...
    Sean De Wane
    ----------------------------------------------
    The De Wane Asylum
    www.dewaneasylum.com

5. Default  
    Rich,

That 1,000 sq. ft. rule would not apply in my home town. At least, not according to the fire marshal and building inspector here. They want sprinklers in any square footage. What is the square footage of your haunts?

If I position the trailers side by side, I'd alternate them as far as which direction they are facing. First trailer facing east, second west, third east, fourth west, etc. using the back end of each as an emergency exit with 4 doors installed (2 on each side) for interconnecting them and increasing available emergency exits. Even if the trailers are 53' long, there will be an exit well within 50' from any point inside. Installing 2 doors on each side also allows for setup versatility, entry, exit, actor and security access, etc.

Positioning trailers 90* to each other is another setup I considered depending on available parking lot or ground space and how large you want the haunt to appear. You would park a trailer then back another one up against the side of that first parked trailer at one of the side door openings. The rear of the backing trailer becomes the passage way from one coach to another. Backing another trailer up against the side of this second trailer at a 90* angle would continue this design thus spreading out the overall haunt in order to appear larger and/or create a specific design or shape when viewed from overhead. Side exits would provide passage between the coaches and emergency exits.

All coaches would have connectors for power, air, etc. One plugs into the other. Larger haunts would require splitting the utilities into 2 zones. Have them come into the middle trailer (half way through the attraction) and branch off toward the entry end and another set of lines toward the exit end. Pending fire marshal approval, the use of fire hose hookups could possibly be used from one coach to the next for the sprinkler system. If not, hard pipe with swivel connections could be used if necessary.

Steve.....
    UptownHaunts@aol.com

Nightmare Village......
    "Follow the Bloody Brick Road"

"Keep 'em Screaming!"
    Leonard Pickel

"Whatever, whatever", "Whatnot", "Dah, dah, dah, dah"
    Larry Kirchner

6. Default  
    I know this is a super old post, but i noticed the attachements showing trailer haunt layouts / designs were missing, could anyone repost them or email them to me?
    Shawn
    Fear Engineer
    HauntedHouse.ca

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by shawng View Post
    I know this is a super old post, but i noticed the attachements showing trailer haunt layouts / designs were missing, could anyone repost them or email them to me?
    They were likely hosted on old sites or public sites where the accounts have gone inactive.

Thread Information