HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Beware of Camera-pointing "Gypsies!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    I have intentionally tried to create a "Jim-Intensive" experience here that defies duplication simply by it's length of time required to do what I do with the storytelling and long set ups for the gags and scares.
    Of course to really be financially successful I should have painted my face bright blue and created a mime act that I could franchise across the country, having myself appearing everywhere at once through imitation actors.
    When people commit to seeing my show they usually invest a large amount of time and money to arrive here so I had better not be copying someone else's stuff or chasing them through this place with a chainsaw for a mere few paniced moments.
    This house really is haunted and sometimes my goofiness and humor might mask this from those visiting here that are very sensitive and potentially very fearfull of this fact.
    Then as a bonus for me I would sometimes be credited with some pretty amazing "Special effects" that only the actual supernatural can do.
    Customers have been touched and had their hair messed with in part of the basement and exit tunnel. For me to be able to do any such thing in a solid concrete tunnel under the ground with no hiding places along it would be quite the trick now wouldn't it?
    Ghosts go where they please, the tunnel is not 138 years old,like the rest of this place, I built it.

2. Default  
    Someday, Jim, I'm gonna visit you and your place.

You've been warned.

Sarah

3. Default  
    The Ravens Grin has often been an "Out of Body" experience for many, but I recommend coming here before you begin to get low on "body".
    And if I am dead when you arrive, come on in, the tour will be severely discounted but Very memorable!

4. Default  
    Jim maybe if you break wind a little more often in your tours and call it a ghost maybe you will get a show out of it? That is if the right person is touring your haunt?! Eat more beans! And good luck!
    Damon
    Damon Carson

5. Default Danger, Will Robinson! 
    FearSeeker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warfield View Post
    The Ravens Grin has often been an "Out of Body" experience for many, but I recommend coming here before you begin to get low on "body".
    And if I am dead when you arrive, come on in, the tour will be severely discounted but Very memorable!
    Looks like both Sarah and I will both be coming to surprise you, and no, we don't know each other, but we are both ChrisGM. Kidding!

6. Default  
    Aw, thanks, Jim, you're so sweet. But really, you wouldn't have to discount
    the tour. I would very much like to see a *real* decaying body.

Sarah

Oh, and FearSeeker, if you keep outing me, I'm going to have to cut you off!

7. Default Hold Your Nose And RUN! 
    I scared this guy so badly at the tour's conclusion that his butt filled the exit tunnel with recid stink.
    Third time is the "charm", so goes the old saying, I had scared him twice before, just moments before he made stains.
    Earlier in another group a middle-aged man, a real free spirit, would scream loudly, then laugh just as loudly. We had quite a string of his wonderfull reaction shots going.
    I had to ask him after the tour what he did for a living?
    He's a computer tech.
    I thought he might be an actor or artist, but then, maybe he is?
    He was plenty confidant enough to let loose of any possibly binding ego problems and simply enjoy laughter and life.
    FUN NIGHT!

8. Default  
    Heh... Just because you have a camera doesn't make you a gypsie. Some of us spent a lot of time and money to learn how to use those cameras properly. Something has to pay off eventually. Obviously, the idea would be to do some good for whatever business we're working for/with and get paid for it. If it doesn't do some good, then usually a misunderstanding is to blame. Differences in 'artistic vision', maybe. I know that I always provide a draft (usually several). I've had to completely re-shoot things to please the client. I'll re-do something 100 times if they're not satisfied.

I don't fully understand the situation, but I assume you were aware they were taping your house so that they could... show it to people? If you agreed to let them shoot there and you didn't buy the footage, then the footage kinda belongs to them. However, if they had any decency, they would give credit where due, in the form of a conspicuous graphic or something that says "Jim Warfield did this" and include your haunt info and web address. I'm guessing they didn't do that.

Or the situation could be that you were bamboozled by a couple of kids who have no business shooting or editing video in the first place. In that case, you'll probably know better next time... Or just leave the next-times in the wake of your carnage... Unleash Mr. Tuxedo and his next-time destroying ray gun.
    To look meant danger, to smile meant death!

9. Default 21st Year 
    As of this summer I will have owned this house 21 years.
    From getting a property that had been abandoned for 2 years, extremenly neglected, condemned, I put in tremendous hours and effort (with almost no money ever) to make it a viable house, structure and eventual successfull business.
    I have had VERY little help here from anyone else over these 21 years(couldn't afford to hire anything much done, so I did it.)
    Adding to the basics of repair and remodelling are the fun, strange things I have made here along with my artwork and the really different tours I give here which also are the direct product and inspiration of being open for house tours almost every night of the year for 20 years.
    I strive to be unique, different, entertaining, stimulating.
    The majority of my past customers say such things too, not always as a kind compliment! (Hahahah!)
    I know that real, decent amounts of money are not made with a shovel in one's hand while testing death in the 95 degree summer sun, nor in a crawlspace with tools bending your back the wrong way and I know that some people think a photographer does almost "nothing" because "The camera does all the work"!
    I operate internally, mentally to respond entertainingly to my customers and this type of "work" is , or at least should be, special and different enough to provide more than average rewards if handled correctly and displayed on a larger venue via media, cameras, microphones and the art of capturing images, telling a story .
    It's all skill-intensive ..but with no one infront of the camera..nothing happens, this is all I'm saying or trying to put across.

10. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warfield View Post
    I operate internally, mentally to respond entertainingly to my customers and this type of "work" is , or at least should be, special and different enough to provide more than average rewards if handled correctly and displayed on a larger venue via media, cameras, microphones and the art of capturing images, telling a story .
    It's all skill-intensive ..but with no one infront of the camera..nothing happens, this is all I'm saying or trying to put across.
    You are absolutely right. I'm doing a HUGE promotion for a car dealership in a couple of weeks that will include a multi-camera live webcast of the event. We're trying like hell to find a "host" of sorts to speak to the contestants and work the viewing audience a little bit. It's not something that everyone can do convincingly and it's really not something that can be taught (at least that's my experience). I just get the feeling that somehow somewhere along the line, you have been screwed by substandard representation of what you do and that you condemn photo/video people because of it. My point was that, though it's not a necessity by any stretch of the imagination (I've never seen photos or video of your show and I'd LOVE to come see it sometime), if it's done well it usually yields positive results.
    To look meant danger, to smile meant death!

Thread Information