HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Side attractions at the exit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Motograter View Post
    Well I have seen a couple haunts do Zombie Paintball. They have a large tarp as a backwall and sides. Then they took chopped heads hanging from wire/fishing line? Then charge a fee to use a paint ball gun and shoot at the floating heads. I guess you could win free admission tickets to the haunt if you hit a curtain amount of heads.
    I would only advise that if you have $$$$ to spare. Because i personally play on a paintball team, and for the amount of time paintballs last or how fast people use them its to expensive. For one box of paintballs ((2000)) which usually lasts 3-4 hours is 45$ and up. . . I mean if you get lots of people per night it probably wouldnt be that bad but you would have to get guns and all that. Its pretty expensive.

Well thats m two cents

-Zackary J

2. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    When paintball guns first came out I test-fired one several times, liked it, bought it. Then after the first 20 shots the balls began ripping apart inside the barrel and it became a paint gun (forget my balls!)
    Then after this happened I had to thoroughly clean the barrel which seemed to require alot of time and water, shoot a few more balls and it would do it again! Very frustrating to plan an assasination of a major public figure and your paintball gun embarasses you like this!
    What was wrong with this gun, or me?
    (Try answering the first part of this question, it should be alot quicker to do.)

3. Default  
    Er it would be easier to answer that question Jim if i knew the model, like tippmann, proto, or maybe Spyder? But one reason is it might of been to humid ((makes the balls soft and likely to break)) or it just might be the FPS((turned up to high)). Or perhaps even the barrel, you might be buying balls to big for the barrel so they break inside. But if you want PM me with the brand of gun and all that. Oh and is it a pump action? If so you would probably want to buy a special kind of paintballs.

-Zackary J

4. Default  
    Maybe your balls are too old?

Now that paint ball is so much more common, I would think the supply of paint balls is refreshed on the shelves and out of the warehouses a lot faster, hence fresh balls. Not old balls that have lost their elasticity.

Even so, it seems it is just the nature that some balls do not make it out of the barrel but quite a few do. I think also the quality of the balls has increased over the years. The equipment it takes to make them is quite the deal

I watched as some local guys put on a paintball booth after getting the idea at a convention. They had perhaps 4 walls by 6 walls with a roof and a front counter. They made more than I do getting a percentage of a charity haunt. I immediately after the season began thinking what could be better?

I would have a sign in 3D using great foam, perhaps add carpet to the front side walls and counter to kll the noise a bit, so it could even be at a rural event and not be shut down because it sounded like the civil war down the holler.

I thought I could just take my attraction and make about 10 such side events and go crazy at all the events I know see thousands and tens of thousands of people. They had a few pnuematic props bobbing about to try to hit.

A side attraction might only get 10% of those exiting an event and a second haunt might only see between 50% to 85% depending on wether it was sold as a package at the front or not. If you are expecting people to spend more money in a different event after having already done one, it is tough and becomes a thing where the customer, especially one that brought a few people just wants to leave as cheaply as possible, let's go, we did what I said we would do, maybe next year.

Having a side anything really becomes a match for the kind of customers. I watched people trying to sell toy cars at our event of all things and they didn't sell one. They were outside in the cold for two nights and made a donation anyhow to the event. But, it was a sad display of just because there is a line of people doesn't mean there is a ton of money to behold.

I know people that do face painting and they can make a whole lot more money at a fair and their experiences trying to work even a large event turned out lack luster in comparison. It depends also on the expectations of the vendor/curator. If you were expecting to pay rent for a large warehouse, you will be dissapointed. If the intention was to make sure there were things to make sure your cutomers experience was good and satisfying and you profited $50, then it is something to do.

Other things I saw as popular were rather large 3D attactions with lights and various things for only $2. Getting your picture taken in a coffin for $3. Again these were at very high number of customer haunts and even 10% of this can be great. But, 10% of almost nothing is nothing.

Other side attractions might be a horror movie museum for $1. Scaryokee for prizes rather than an entry fee at all. A total different stage for a magic show and costume competition. No charge for any of that, just customer satisfaction OR the reason they might have come? The opportunity to walk out with $100? So like Las Vegas, 95% lose but they did show up and buy a ticket to the main attraction unless they are truely poor.

In a round about way, side events can be free yet bring in more customers because there is so much to do.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

5. Default  
    Gaffney, South Carolin, during the summer - Marathon Key, Florida during the wintera
    We have a fortune teller that uses a machine to give the customers a small electric shock. Very effective as a side attraction. This will be year #10, our exit survey says it's a hit. George Maser 864-761-7223
    George Maser 864-761-7223, www.tentsandsigns.com. george@tentsandsigns.com. For the fastest response please call! (I talk much better than I type)

6. Default  
    Well that seems a little dangerous doesnt it? I mean what if it short circuits and gives a customer a slightly larger shock then intended and they loose the feeling in their arm? No offense i like the idea but it seems a little dangerous.

-Zackary J
    Last edited by Dr. Giggles; 07-21-2008 at 09:51 PM.

7. Default side line attractions 
    We have always been very excited about sideline attractions. In this area we have alot of corn mazes that have corn cannon's, train rides, pumpkin patches, etc. So our customers have come to expect more than just a walk thru haunted house. We have dedicated alot of time and energy into developing side events. We started a laser maze challenge. You need to make your way thru a laser field without getting getting penalties and get the fastest time. We give out awesome grand prize each year. This has not only been good for the haunted house but took off at a national level and are being sold all over, even Kennywood has a laser maze now. I would highly recommend people looking into side line events.
    It can be way more the a extra $3.00

unit13maze.com
    battleofthehauntedhouses.com
    Attached Images
    Last edited by sts; 07-22-2008 at 09:39 AM.

8. Default  
    Great pict! Those laser mazes look awesome. great idea
    Sean De Wane
    ----------------------------------------------
    The De Wane Asylum
    www.dewaneasylum.com

9. Default  
    Very cool! I really like that maze idea...i was thinking about doing something similar in my haunt this year.

10. Default Thanks 
    Thanks for the kind words about the lazer maze.
    It's a fun add on to the haunt and our customers love it! We also have a trailer unit called the vault so we can hit the road in the off season.
    And no we dont pull it with our hearse...LOL

cc@screamtheme.com
    Attached Images

Thread Information