HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Fire at Six Flags Haunted House

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Fire at Six Flags Haunted House 
    Article says it was not open, but I hope we don't get fallout from it anyways.

http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/s...6-f27677f8538e
    Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
    Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Haunted Cave, Fort Wayne Indiana

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.facebook.com/hauntedcave

2. Default  
    Friggin idiots

3. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by AW View Post
    Friggin idiots
    Based on what? Do you know more than the article told? You're assuming it was human error.
    Pain is just an un-avoidable side effect

4. Default six flags fire 
    Yes I do know more - I had already read where it was an accident and caused by an electrical problem - it still does not lessen the fact that it is just another incident that draws undue attention to us all and increases the stigma placed on haunted attractions

5. Default Be prepared 
    Well, be prepared for more grief from the building inspector and fire marshal in the future. The tragic Great Adventure fire of May 11, 1984 has hindered my ability to setup and open in the Philly, Pa. area like you wouldn't believe. That's why I'm gonna take a shot at a mobile (trailer) show.

Steve....
    UptownHaunts@aol.com

Nightmare Village......
    "Follow the Bloody Brick Road"

"Keep 'em Screaming!"
    Leonard Pickel

"Whatever, whatever", "Whatnot", "Dah, dah, dah, dah"
    Larry Kirchner

6. Default make it an opportunity 
    First: AW, can you locate that article you read, the one that mentioned the cause of the fire?

If the public is under the impression (whether it's actually true or not) that the fire was caused by electrical malfunction, then use the fact that *your* haunt, for example, has been certified/inspected/whatever by the regulating board of your area, to inspire trust and market your attraction.

It may be true that you do this each year anyway, because of local laws, but it will only boost your customers' trust in your haunt when you bring it to their attention.

Many businesses miss out on sales simply because they don't state the obvious.

Sarah
    Last edited by Haunting Copy; 08-02-2008 at 01:11 AM.

7. Default request 
    If y'all happen to see more news reports on this, would y'all send it to me or post it? I'd like to keep an eye on this.

Thanks. Hope to hear more from y'all.

8. Default  
    Steve,

I never knew much about the details of the Great Adventure fire so I just googled it and read up on it. Amazing what they could get away with back then.

Interestingly, it was a trailer haunt that was supposed to be temporary and they decided to keep it.

9. Default  
    Posted this on the Fright Fourum:

It is alway ridiculous! How many apartment fires were there in the last month?
    Do they shut down or change inspections of apartments though out the country?
    NO!

If anyone makes a comment on this use this link:
    http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0708/540316.html

Also in MD ON THE SAME DAY, a fire in the Marriot's unfinished mansion.
    Do we shut down all mansions and require new inspections?

We should have all the facts to be able to be informed, but should avoid as much as possible. Here's what I mean....

This is where we need a real industy leader than can step forward and put a proper spin on this.

The only other major fire was in 1984...TWENTY FOUR YEARS AGO!!!

How about...

"In the last 24 years there have only been 2 major fires in Haunted Attractions. Only one caused any bodily harm. In those 24 years over 360 million people have visited haunted attractions. The proactive nature of the owners and operators of Haunted Attractions have made this industry one of the safest in the world."

THIS is what our industry needs, procative assessment! We need statics on other industries to have something to compare to. Had many injuries and deaths in other industries?

Here's some "spin doctoring" for you....They are building the next mega resort here in Vegas, City Center. According to reports, EIGHT people have died on the project. The point here being that actually SIXTEEN people have died, eight were transported to the hospital and died in route or at the hospital. Since they didn't actually die ON the property they don't count!!!!

Many Haunters are active in other fields. Maybe we independently start gathering this type of information in our other fields so we can compile a comparitive list.

I based my little quote on only 1,500 haunts nationwide with an average of 10,000 participants. In 24 years that's 360 million visitors. What if there are really closer to 2,000 or 5,000 haunts? Now we're talking over a BILLION participants!!

THIS is how we need to be proactive, not quaking in our boots waiting for the Fire Marshal to throw this latest incident in our faces!!

Rich
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

10. Default  
    Rich,

That's a really good idea. The hard part is getting more than token coverage of a representative telling how safe haunts are and explaining why. Sensationalism sells, and the smoke and flames are what makes the news.

But it never hurts to make the effort. It will take someone who is ready to jump on it as soon as something happens and the story is still fresh.

I wonder what would happen if you compiled statistics for other types of fires and presented them to the fire inspector when they show up next time and mention the latest haunt fire. They might just think you're being a smart ass and do a tougher inspection.

Thread Information