HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

View Poll Results: Tour Guides or No

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Keep The Guides

18 26.47%
  • No, Get Rid Of The Guides

50 73.53%

Thread: Guide or No Guide?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Guide or No Guide? 
    We're a relatively small pro haunt with a
    through-put of 300 to 400 a night.

Lines are often long and the wait can be 30 to 40 minutes.

We use tour guides.... should we?
    Virgil: Master Of The Ethermuse

2. Default  
    I say toss the guide, unless it's you of course.
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

3. Default  
    It really depends on what type of haunt you're running.

If you just have groups walking through differently-themed rooms with lots of startles and jump-out-and-boo type scares, you could probably get rid of the guides.

If you have a theatrical-type haunt that needs narration, or your haunt is "personality-driven" (think RAVEN'S GRIN INN), guides are essential.

Remember that un-guided customers are more likely to break stuff, steal stuff, get lost, and get hurt.

Your haunt will have to be idiot-proofed if you get rid of your guides.

If you can do that, I say go guide-less.
    Guerilla Haunter

4. Default  
    Gadget,

I served as a guide this year....
    spent most of my time in the que line
    "entertaining"...

It wouldn't offend me to be stuck outside
    in the cue line all night long....
    I love to improv and creep out the
    customers....

Haunter 112,

I totally agree...
    many of the guides said very little....
    I would spend my time with the group between
    scares talking with them... telling stories
    and generally keeping them focused on me so
    the actors could really get their scare on.....

A guide's job, as I see it, is three fold....

1. Protection (for group and actor)
    2. Pacing (presenting and setting up the various rooms)
    3. Policing (keeping problems to a minimum and property damage to zero)
    Virgil: Master Of The Ethermuse

5. Default  
    Yup I say 'toss the guide' as well.

We use a relay approach. A front door greeter welcomes a group of 5-9 (depends on how many 'lads') in and directs them to zone A.... the zone A actors then direct them over to the zone B actors etc. etc.

This approach also works a security measure by 'gating the crowd'. The small groups are literally sandwiched inbetween actors and given the feeling there is more of us than them.

We have never had problems at our haunt as there is no more than 5-8 patrons in a zone at one time and they are surrounded.

It makes it is easier because the show is divided up and the actors are responsible for their zones. In between the zones the hallways have cameras which send the images to a monitor in the next zone. So the actors can see what is coming as well. Any problems and they can can signal security. We have built in as many short cuts or secret doors as we can.

It is a nightmare but safety is paramount. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Only on the Ripper tour and haunted walks does the tour guide approach work. But then they only do a group of about 25-30 adults in one night paying about £30 per head!

People pay because the tour guide is very, very good and is literally the show.

6. Default  
    Maggie Valley, North Carolina, United States
    realy depends on the style and such but to me bottom line is that if you want through put you don't wont a guide let the screamers ush the rest through for you. catle care push until it hurts baby.
    The Care Taker
    John "DarkTombCreations.com"

7. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    The main complaints I have always heard about October haunts from my customers is that they were rushed through, didn't get to see anything because of the other customers either in their way or pushing them through and that too many people were bunched together so the attempted scare was seen by everyone when it happened the first time.
    These complaints ALL sound like a decent guide could cure most of these complaints most of the time, thereby giving your customers a much better, less frustrating memory of the place.
    Maybe some large haunts in heavilly populated areas don't care if the customers come back?
    My wallet cares even if sometimes after a cranky cheap-skate potential customer I don't feel that I should care.

8. Default  
    different haunts, different atmosphere, different throughput..... what works for you may not work for all.... what works for all may not work for you. Some haunts run them in and out as fast as they can while others let the patrons control their speed.... hell, some haunts are so damn scary that they have to slow the patrons down !! pushers and guides might be needed in different atmospheres, in the wrong atmosphere they can be a nuisance to the patron...

.... I think a guide is needed to keep people moving in most haunts ?

Jim, in your haunt you are the guide if Im correct..... and you are entertainment along the way because you have stories about your house and whatnot?? I dont know just guessing.... Which I think is cool in its own.... Im interested in checking your house out if we are ever in the Chicago area again....
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
    www.maliciousstudios.com
    "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
    http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

9. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    For the last 5? seasons I have been very fortunate to have had very good guides since I can not do it all in the fall.
    They are adept at controlling and entertaining the groups. they even make up most of their own dialog, of course they all discovered years ago the cheap, guaranteed laughs will come when they say goofy insulting things about me!
    In-season on weekends I only get to do about 10 to 12 minutes in the front room, sometimes I will also get to do the second room, but not always.
    I miss the fun, mostly then.....

10. Default  
    I've worked both large and small haunts.
    I like the guides.
    We use radios to control the flow..it help's with small kids too.
    when the code (candy) go's out ,it's back off time.. no chain saw's..
    works great..now when the code (redneck) go's out .well you can
    imagine what we do,, he,he :twisted:

Thread Information