HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: How to wield a chainsaw?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default  
    My STRONG advice:

Get an electric saw.

They're light (mine can't be more than 9 lbs), there's zero burn risk, and aside from the cord there's really no downside.
    You never have to worry about starting it, it's just safety-trigger-VRNNNNNN! All night!

Plus, because there's no real risk of burning anybody. When a group of screamers comes through, I'll just walk around the corner with the saw out (not even on!) and slam it on the wall next to them or even above their heads (they drop to the floor EVERY time). I get the saw RIGHT IN THEIR FACE (again no heat so no burn, and it's not on so no moving parts), I give them not one inch of personal space. I've had people in the corner of my room screaming for up to two minutes without even touching the safety!
    Then when they finally get free, I start the saw and the chase begins!

The most important things to remember about acting with a chainsaw are that people are more scared of the anticipation and the build up then they are of the actual saw, and you can't let the saw do the work for you.
    Sure, you could just run out of the dark with the saw full on. And yeah, that'll get maybe 40 or 50% of groups a good scare, but why do that when you can make them scared of YOU, not just the saw!?

2. Default  
    so heres an update on how i have been doing with the saw.

they gave me the saw about an hour before we opened, so i spent
    what time I had to understand it, as well as the controls. starting it is easy,
    and i do love the feel of pulling the cord, and im watching where my flying elbow goes. hes how my room works.

when the guests walk in, there are barrels lines up to where they have to walk around to get to the other side of my room where the exit is, forcing them to get close to my scene(where i am hiding). another actor is usually at the front to bring them in, or one to hid behind/in the barrels as the distraction. once the group gets close, i step out and fire it up. I have had many people run into walls, in the barrels, and ball into the corner. my best scares are when those who are frightened put themselves against a wall, to which i *gently* slam the saw by their face, for them to see that it is in fact real.

if i am fast enough to get in front of the exit i encourage them to get closer, or try to leave. sometimes i run the chainsaw at their feet, or i run past them with the saw high above my head. once they leave, i follow them out (pitch black for them, but i can still see) where before they enter the tube hallway, i fire it up once more for another scare.

my only problem is that every night to get it able to start up everytime, i have to let it run for nearly 5 minutes constantly, which drains the gas. it takes a ton of pulls to get it started, but once its warmed up shes ready to go

whats some of your favorite chainsaw scare moments?

3. Default  
    One man looked me straight in the eye and says "You can hurt me with that thing there is no chain on it!" i just laughed like a fool and all willed eyed i said "Wanna bet Mr?" and i would hold the blade ((lack of chain)) about 2 inches from his face and he would usually back up or fall over and freak out! "Oh my god i think....i think...THERE IS A CHAIN! Lets get the $%^@ out of here!" is the usualy response Hahahaah. But yeah becarefull i usually use a homelight which generates a lot of heat...burns are frequent for you and the customers to try to make sure they dont happen to the customers.

4. Default  
    you don't need to take the chain off, as long as you remove the teeth from it. however, if it's used for anything else, then just take off the chain.

5. Default  
    Stephan,

It is still wise to remove the chain, teeth or not.

A moving chain could still injure someone even without having teeth.

If you want authenticity, you could weld a non moving chain to the bar and/or add some plastic mylar teeth to it which will vibrate and appear somewhat realistic, especially when used in low light situations.

Tom

6. Default  
    Oh and when you start it, start it DOWNWARD. I see a lot of new saw actors nick people because they jerk it forward when starting.

7. Default  
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGMqTnsVEtQ

check outt bubba-robics at 24 hour frightness!!
    I'LL SEE YOU... IN THE DARKNESS!!!
    lasvegashaunts.com

8. Default  
    Ok first Ive gotta say

Never use a Lighter for light when refueling the chainsaw...as this comes as common sense to most it doesnt to all.

Second Dont hold the saw above your head and then swing it in a downward motion, doing this could cause some face damage if you trip or further injury to the customer.

Tater
    Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

9. Default  
    Tater is more than likely talking from experience! LOL! Tater it must really be a bitch trying to use a chainsaw in a dress. And using a walker. Talk about getting your panties in a bunch. I will say never use a horror robe. One night our chainsaw guy was late and I had to do the front room and run out and do the chainsaw at the end. Long sleeves can be a nightmare around a chainsaw! Ha!
    Damon
    Damon Carson

10. Default  
    hah damon you know I do have other characters I do....and this time it wasnt me, both times....I saw the incident happen with the lighter and a flaming chainsaw go shoot across the woods because the kid thought that throwing it into a hole would put the flames out. The second thing my friend got some serious damage done to him because an actor with a chainsaw tripped causing him to smash the chainsaw in my friends face.
    Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Thread Information