HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Ghosts: True or Fictional?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ghosts: True or Fictional? 
    Some ghosts are believed by some people to be the unhappy and often harmful spirit of a dead person. Once, many superstitious people believed in ghosts. As more persons became educated, the belief in ghosts still persists in parts of the world. There are many different ideas about the powers of a ghost. Some people insist that a ghost can be heard, but never seen. Others believe that ghosts are visible to some people and can be recognized because they never cast shadows or leave footprints, and can walk thru closed doors and solid walls. Believers in ghosts think that some evil causes ghosts exists to right and wrong or revenge a crime. For instance, they think that the spirit of someone who was murdered will return and causes trouble for the killer. This association with crime causes many to fear the possibility of ghosts. Ghosts are supposed to work only at night when the light is poor.
    A person's senses can play tricks on him when it is difficult to see. A fluttering rag, reflected moonlight, or a white stone, may have led superstitious people to believe that they had seen a ghost. Animal movements, shutters slamming in the wind, or creaking doors also lead people to believe in ghosts. Ghosts play apart in many primitive religions. They have always been a favorite subject of writers and storytellers. Shakespeare created several famous ones in his tragedies, particularly in "Hamlet and Macbeth". Marley's ghost in "Dicken's A Christmas Carol" is a well-known literary figure.

2. Default  
    I respect that other people believe in ghosts but I personally don't believe they exist. I know other people have had experiences but I have not. Maybe that is why I don't believe in them.
    Jared Layman

3. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    When I bought this house 20 years ago, my limited belief was that whenever there was a "wrongful" death, murder, suicide or someone just wasn't really ready to die yet, that there could be a residue of energy left behind that certain people , during certain times of the year, moon's phases or weather , could see or hear, on a limited basis, of course. But my thinking on this did not account for or explain why or how a "voice" could call someone's name in this one room here? (Happening since at least 1970)
    How could mere left behind energy know, or call you by your name? Vocal chords floating in mid-air? "Heard" only with by one's mind? Communicated via the mind, making it seem like the ears and hearing were involved? Too many unanswered questions to be at ease with.
    I only beleive what I have heard, felt or seen, of course this is after exhausting all other explanations or possibilitys for the event.
    There have been times that other worldly explanations were found like when a basement display using water suddenly turned itself on one winter night at 3am. The water had froze, expanded and pushed itself through the water-activated switch, turning itself, it's lights and the sound track on.
    There was a time period five years ago when alot of very strange things went on here that could not be explained in worldly terms.
    I posted on Hauntworld about 25 nights ago about three of us all hearing a woman's voice sort of singing in the wine cellar at 1:55am! The voice seemed to be coming from up near the ceiling, the ceiling is 12 foot high, a stone arch construction with maybe six foot of earth on top of the stones, then the house on top of the earth, not exactly accessable to anyone wishing to somehow put their voice into this room.
    Telling people the haunted history of this house scares the hell out of some people, when I tell it totally seriously. I usually don't tell it seriously , I want and need them to have a fun time and tell their family and friends, and come back, give me more money so I can pay my bills.
    It is not hard for me at all to be a very effective storyteller because it is not a "story" that I'm telling them, it's the truth of what has gone on here.
    The things I talk about have happened to former tennants here, my past October helpers, my wife, my ex-wife and most importantly, myself, myself, because I know what I saw, heard or felt for sure, no exageration. I try to tell exactly waht happened here in normal, descriptive words, not sensationlising it for any effect and then I try to maintain that description forever, not embellishing it or making the event more than what it actually was.
    When people return and hear me talking about the things that happened to them here I ask them to please change or correct anything they might find any degree of disagreement with as far as the real facts or wording.
    So far nobody has asked me to change anything.
    It is a "Haunted", Haunted House, which does lose me some business, probably more than it makes for me, but I am compelled to tell them the truth so as to protect their minds from possibly collapsing with self-doubt and fear if something supernatural happened to them while they were here and then they simply thought that they were losing their mind.

4. Default  
    My house is haunted. Fairly new one as well. Doesnt affect my life any. Old place was haunted as well.
    The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

5. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by mindtumor View Post
    I respect that other people believe in ghosts but I personally don't believe they exist. I know other people have had experiences but I have not. Maybe that is why I don't believe in them.
    My husband think the same thing. He'll beleive in ghosts when they start paying rent.

I didn't beleive in them until I encountered one. I use the term GHOST for lack of a better term because I don't beleive in the afterlife ... so I'm not sure what I encountered .... yet.
    ~HauntedWebby~
    www.lazarusmaze.com
    www.bbqandghosts.com
    "Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected?"

6. Default  
    Captain Spaulding Guest
    How would you explain the fact that some people see ghosts as say a dead family member or a historical figure or something like that? Do we maybe project what we want them to be when do happen to catch a glimpse?

Perhaps? Just my opinion... Obviously, ghosts haven't been able to be studied in detail, as nobody has really been able to catch one. Transformation? Visual illusions? Who knows?

7. Default  
    "Ghosts" and similar strange things ..are they really That strange?
    Consider speaking and having someone thousands of miles away hear what you are saying? Radio, tv ? Electricity in the air all around us and for some reason it decides to silently carry our likeness until we decide to pull it out of the air?
    If tv and radio can work as it does then why not ghosts? Just tune in, watch and listen very carefully.

8. Default  
    Your house would and & will make a person second guess yourself. Thats for sure! I had always been a skeptic and still are to a certain degree. I just dont go thinking everything is haunted if a person claims it is. Ive always read ghost stories, read about haunted houses ect. I always believed in them. But Im from Missouri so like the motto of our state is, SHOW ME! The night I spent in the Ravens Grin Inn I was definately SHOWN! More than once! And it wasnt Jim dancing around in the dark with a black light and a white sheet. Many things happened from a voice yelling out "Hey!" to me in the cellar to a stream of water splash in from of me. As if an invisible hand slapped the water while I was washing my hands. Then splashing on the kitchen door about 3ft away. Too laying on his couch at 4 in the morning watching red and green orbs appear and flash and then swirl around in the room. The only thing I didnt see was a full body apparition. Jim the next time I come back you better guarantee this or I want my money back!!! LOL!
    Damon
    Damon Carson

9. Default Well... 
    Now that your first date with my house is out of the way..next time might see a bigger show for you. Can you handle it?

10. Default  
    LOL! Ya Im sure I could handle it Jim! Just as long as some door to hell doesnt open up and pull me in! LOL!
    Damon
    Damon Carson

Thread Information