HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Solenoid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Post Solenoid? 
    Heyy all,

Ok so I know the basics on what a solenoid is. But what is it's purpose for a prop? I am making a movable prop and I see them everywhere I just dotn know why they are used? Is it nessasary? Any info would help!

Learning one step @ a time

Kyle

2. Default  
    Solenoid in haunt applications usually means the valve for routing the air supply to a pnuematic prop. Applying a voltage to the valve opens or closes the valve in the most basic application.

3. Default  
    The nice thing about a three way solenoid valve is that it releases the air from the cylinder when no voltage is applied to the valve, so your prop will reset quickly.

However, we had some props that we wanted them to reset slowly, so we did not use a three way, they settled back down with the slow release of air from the cylinder.

4. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Boni View Post
    The nice thing about a three way solenoid valve is that it releases the air from the cylinder when no voltage is applied to the valve, so your prop will reset quickly.

However, we had some props that we wanted them to reset slowly, so we did not use a three way, they settled back down with the slow release of air from the cylinder.
    3 way solenoid valves are the correct valve when using single acting cylinders. There are flow control fittings that can be used on the cylinder to control the speed in both directions.

I only use double acting cylinders and 4 way valves with the appropriate flow control fittings to control the extension and retract speed. 4 way valves and double acting cylinders are cheaper 99% of the time and also give you the best control over the movement of your props.
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

5. Post Thank you 
    Thanks for all yoru help.

I went today to Princess Auto to see what a solenoid looked like. And with all of yoru help it definitly put all the peaces together. Now I will be way better off when I build my prop.

Thanks again and happy new year!

Kyle

6. Default  
    Some great info available here...

http://www.frightprops.com/FrightPro...atics/Docs.asp
    Kevin
    Sleepy Hollow Productions, LLC / Folklore Haunted House

7. Default  
    Thats a great direction to send him in Kevin. I was thinking to send him to the grainger website to show his solenoids and relays but frightprops has a very understandable website and it is for our industry. I have purchased from them before and I love their boo boxes. Very simple to use.

8. Default  
    These are helpful also when you get into figuring out what size valve and cylinders to use.

http://www.evilusions.com/calculator.php
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

9. Smile  
    Check out ebay. Type in air cylinders, air solenoid valves mac valves, etc. Many items can be found, just watch the pricing. Look good because the deals are there.

10. Default Understanding Pneumatics 
    I know several people have already answered this question. But a website that I found helpful when starting out is:

http://www.teamdavinci.com/understanding_pneumatics.htm

Hope this helps.

Thread Information