HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: The Problem with portraying a well known movie character...

Hybrid View

1. Default The Problem with portraying a well known movie character... 
    Well i know i know haunts should stay away from movie character types but hey if the haunt your working for puts you in that scene what can you do? Your best right? Lets discuss, tell me your views, what are pros and cons?
    Here is my opinion on well known movie characters such as Michael Myers for examples people KNOW him. A lot of the time its a learned fear, they got scared from the movie they will sh!t themselves from the reall thing in their face. If they werent scared of the movie...well your out of luck. You kind of need to stray from the silent slow gait to scare them. I was in the michael Myers in my room i personally didnt think i did rather well but everyone thought i rocked that room, i requested to be put back in the clown house (My home) which they graciously did. Being a HUGE fan of the horror movie i really tried to keep it synonymous with the movie, quiet, terror. But i have noticed something about michael myers and is a common misconception. People think that white mask he wheres is supposed to represent his face, this is not true it is a mask he stole from a hardware store according to the john carpenter original. But everyone kept saying "Oh look you can see the mask line!" Well yeah its a mask its what he wore! He is a slow character and eh doesnt talk so when another fan in the movie comes through they tend to tell all their friends "Dont worry he wont run he only walks, just take of." And the lack of speaking doesnt allow me to get under their heads enough. SSo whats everyones views on the characters? Because everyone has probably played a significantly well known horror movie in their time i bet. What do you think the pros and cons are of being a horror movie character?

2. Default  
    I think one of the big cons to doing a well know movie character is that people expect it to be just like movie. So they will point out any flaws in the costuming, makeup, or acting (for example: I've seen a version of the Jackel from 13 Ghosts that had a chainsaw. Most of the guests pointed out the character never had a chainsaw).

I enjoy creating a charater that is influenced by a movie character, but I think doing an exact version can be limiting from an acting standpoint (as you mentioned, Michale Myers doesn't speak).
    Katie Lane
    Partner/VP
    Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

3. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Latitude in character portrayal,.. so Mikey Meyers didn't speak, butt did he fart?
    Make him into a farting "Machine" and see them run!
    Maybe it would help if you watched alot of mimes and studied the finer points of their body language?
    Maybe that horrific movie monster is really just a mime, white face, no expression...maybe the movie copied mimes ?
    Mike Myers suddenly becoming a streetcorner mime! How scary!

4. Default  
    heres what makes them good:

alot of actors are just put as either a creature, clown, killer, or something along the lines. They have to create their own character, which can make or break the scene. They dont have much to study, unless they have been doing the character for a long time.

as for the movie monsters, you have something to study. Just watch the movies!!

At a volunteer haunt, i was given the Freddy Krueger room. since I didnt really understand what he did, I simply went home and watched them. I noted his posture, head movements, to even how he held and manuvered the glove. His voice was in my vocal range (sang in choir for tons of years) so i was able to be as close as the character as possible.

During the haunt, I personally got more scares out of the older customers, rather than the teens. I guess its because the teens these days have not seen them, or they arent scary enough.

what helps is that alot of old horror movies are being remade (halloween, Friday 13th..) so now you have new material to work with.

5. Default  
    "Oh look, kids - it's Michael Myers. You know, from the movie Halloween."

I think that is the reaction many have received. The problem is that people know it's a movie character. They know he's not real. Besides, they can buy the same costume at Walmart.

6. Default  
    Shawn,
    I agree; the character is no longer frightening when anyone can be it for $14.95.

I think people are so used to seeing the movie characters played out in haunts that there is not shock to them.
    Katie Lane
    Partner/VP
    Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Thread Information