HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Market Analysis?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Default Compettion 
    Other than maybe a couple of volunteer Fire company haunts there's nothing to my knowledge really close to compete with a Large Scale Professional Haunt.

the closest pro haunts are over a hour and a half away one in pittsburgh and one in cleveland.

Nothing to my knowledge in erie in the forms of a pro haunt!

So as far as i know there's not really any close compition to compete with.
    Michael Chilson
    Brookdale Campground Haunted Halls
    Kozy Rest Campground Haunted Hay Ride
    ScareHouse Pittsburgh, Pa (Actor)
    Designer & Technical Director

2. Default  
    Depending on where you live, sometimes a search of your town on Wikipedia will give you a raw demographic break down of your town (or towns) that you are marketing towards. Reference that with the "haunt demographic" and that can give you a rough number to play with for attendance.
    Michael Inks
    Geist Entertainment, Inc.
    www.geistentertainment.com
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

3. Default Sarah? 
    Sarah,

I did not take offense by anything you wrote. We do a haunted hotel theme and would welcome your thoughts for ideas on the "motel" ideas.

The postings on market stuff is alway good to know. I love to anylize and compare data with others. Many times haunters are cautious of releasing data for many reasons.

Boni,
    We will get together on a cross promotion. We need to set a time to meet and discuss things soon as I am starting to put my ideas to action.
    Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
    Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Haunted Cave, Fort Wayne Indiana

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.facebook.com/hauntedcave

4. Default Jam 
    Quote Originally Posted by JamBam View Post
    Sarah,

I did not take offense by anything you wrote. We do a haunted hotel theme and would welcome your thoughts for ideas on the "motel" ideas.

The postings on market stuff is alway good to know. I love to anylize and compare data with others. Many times haunters are cautious of releasing data for many reasons.

Boni,
    We will get together on a cross promotion. We need to set a time to meet and discuss things soon as I am starting to put my ideas to action.
    LOL, on the haunted hotel ideas, I was being fecetious. I have such a terrible boss, that it's the customers here who could tell of nightmares, LOL. The dude won't put anything into repairs. He's just running the place into the ground, and it's embarrassing to be a part of it.

I would like to say again, to whoever is interested, the concern over competition is sometimes not necessary. (I do believe there is a legitimate concern for more rural haunts, though.) It's like anything, if a person has a particular interest in something, then that person will pursue almost all avenues of that interest, especially if they are not all that common. Apparently, they will even drive out to the boonies for it! (I know I would.)

Cross-promotion with another haunt, in my marketing mind, is the best thing any haunt can do. When I was in St. Louis, there was no way I was going to go to Necropolis and *not* FearFest, or vice versa. And the only thing that kept me from The Darkness was I had heard we were going to have to wait for three hours. Since I had no jacket, that was too long for me.

Another consideration . . . even if a city is chock full of haunts, cross-promotion among *similarly priced/quality* haunts is a good idea. Then, customer expectations are met, which keeps them happy - which will bring them back the next year. If the quality of the haunts are mixed, I think the credibility of the cross-promotion is lost.

There are systems in place for bigger businesses to do market analyses. I hope HHA or IAHA will come through for us with something similar.
    Sarah Meier
    Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
    "Words they remember you by"

5. Default Marketing 
    I am of the belief that in haunts and marketing, the customers usually don't go to just one. Years ago, I went to a haunt in a town 20 miles north of our town. They had a one page sheet of many haunts listed on it. The guy who ran that haunt had put it together and passed it out as a service to his customers.

Many times customers come out of a haunt and ask the workers outside, "where is another haunt?" A few years ago, one haunt that was the biggest event in the area and us got together and we pt together a nice folded handout for our customers. We got eleven of twelve events within an hours drive of this area to participate. If the customer went to five of the events, they would get the sixth event FREE.

We did a similar promotion the next year and had a full color 2 page sheet that was folded over the edge of the Sunday comics and several other area papers during that week to reach over 250,000 households in four cities. We had 12 of 13 events in that year. The one event that declined put our page up (both sides) on the side of his ticket booth. Haunts bought two areas with a coupon and map listing and a third area was sold and priced by the area ordered.

I feel sorry for the areas that do not have a network and cooperation like we have had. I have heard of haunts marketing materials being taken out of stores and pulled down and replaced with competitors stuff.

This year, we will be cross promoting with haunts at least an hour drive from us. We will have their posters by our ticket window with an offer decided by that haunt. Ours will be a buy one get one free if they bring us the ticket of the other haunt. Most we have talked to will be doing the same offer for our customers. I am sure that many of those that come will bring others that will pay full price. I think we have five lined up to do this with us so far. The farthest is three hours drive away. All it will cost is a few posters.

The customers will visit more than one and will travel to new ones if they are aware of them. We will keep track of those numbers for future use.

6. Default Brett 
    When you started cross-promoting, would you say your attendance went up noticeably?

I hate to hear that haunters tear down other haunts' marketing materials. For one, it's tacky (and maybe illegal?). Two, they shooting themselves in the foot, missing a great opportunity!
    Sarah Meier
    Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
    "Words they remember you by"

7. Default attendance has gone up 
    We haven't cross promoted in a couple of years. But, the customers have told us they knoew of us for a while and decided to come. Our radio ad budget and the internet ads have also come up with attendance. So I can't prove it helped, but I am sure it didn't hurt.

8. Default "Guilt by association" 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Boy, I'm such a "Grouch!"
    Last edited by Jim Warfield; 06-22-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Thread Information