HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Orlando Haunted House

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Im from Orlando and would love to work for your HH. I have many friends who would also help and be good workers.Orlando really needs a HH to compete with Halloween Horror Nights.

2. Default  
    If you are getting open for this year, also be aware that HauntCon is in orlando for 2010.

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

3. Default 2010!! 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Next year?
    We are in the end times.
    Everyone is overly concerned about chewing on some else's rear end, yet somehow not getting their own imprinted with teeth marks.
    "Hello, my name is "Mark", Teeth Mark."
    Anyone catch Grey Man's Rump-Roast Recipe? Some people will eat anything, or anybody---part.

4. Default Responses and Updates 
    Ex of Terror
    Please email me if you would like to get involved and give me details as to your area of interest. I have already begun construction of some of the larger scenic elements and will continue to build throughout the summer. My email is mlayton@mail.ucf.edu

Haunted Memphis
    Why should I be aware that HauntCon is in Orlando next year?

I have constructed the base platform for a train car I will have in the haunt. Hereís the link to the video if youíre interested. Itís much further along now and I will update with more video soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ9m7wLQBhY

5. Default  
    where in orlando are you?
    terror tents we will leave you screaming

6. Default Location 
    I'm in Eastern Orlando, near UCF, ten miles north of airport

7. Default  
    My first bit of advice is DO NOT DO IT! You'll be killed, slaughtered by Universal and Busch Gardens. It's almost impossible to open a haunted house anywhere in southern Florida and I'm talking Miami, Tampa, and everywhere between.

I have one way you can open and succeed just one... you have to find a location that people already think is haunted, or some place everyone keeps breaking into at night with flashlights, some cave, a real hospital, blah, blah...

What Universal and Tampa offer is clearly just modular haunts they might be very good but still they're NOT real... the people who go KNOW THIS!

If you could find some local urban legend location, something that you can market as being REALLY haunted I think you could do very well, but if you just plan on finding some retail strip location or something you will fail. Don't let me rain on your parade I'm just telling you what I really think here... the marketing these two put on the area is like 50 machine guns all aimed at the same target!

I'm not saying you couldn't build the best haunted house ever seen, or that you couldn't be very successful anywhere else just not Orlando. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can, its just food for thought! If their where two area's I would NEVER attempt to open a haunt it would be LA and Orlando area because they are dominated by theme parks. It wouldn't be so bad if there was just say Universal advertising but because they have two theme parks marketing in the same markets they try to kill each other... don't look now another billboard, don't look now another TV commerical, don't look now another radio commercial, don't look now another sponsor promoting them, don't look now (it just never ends).

Larry

8. Default  
    One other thing... watched your video on the train car concept thing you have there. Nice work however keep in mind on that the air it takes to run something like that is UNREAL no high end air compressor that runs with a belt can keep up with it. We have something close to that in our haunt called the 'swamp house' and we had to rent a diesel powered air compressor for the whole season just to move the thing. They will run for a while but then your air compressor will run out of steam and it basically stops working. You can't have anything else on the same lines as these air monster or it will drag down everything.

Nice work!

Larry

9. Default  
    Larry,

Iíd like to point out that there are several small haunted houses that currently coexist with the larger venues here in central florida. Thereís Hunterís Creep Nights (Hunterís Creek), Face the Fear (Sanford), and a small haunted house in Longwood and the Haunted Grimm House in Old Town. All of these have been operating for several years now. This tells me that the market is large enough to support other haunts, because they have to be at least breaking even or they wouldnít be opening year after year.

I agree that a large haunted house would suffer here, because it couldnít generate the sales needed to equal the capital required to open and operate, but what about a small haunt on a smaller budget? I estimate that I need 3,000 people to break even. Now my target audience will mainly be the college kids and it is at the colleges that I will focus my advertising. To break even, I will only need to convince 3% of the college population that they should visit my haunted house. That percentage goes down depending on how many local people (that live here) I can get through. It might be possible. One advantage I have is that I can make a technically advanced haunted attraction without the price tag. The train car platform you saw only cost me $300. I hope to keep my costs low so I donít need a large audience to break even.

This is my chance to realize my dream. I know I face incredible odds but Iím determined to give it all I have. Iíd love to be the only Haunted House in the area but thatís not the case. Iím still going to try.

Thanks for the input on my train car. I realized that I would need a dedicated compressor for it. And I plan on having a 50 gallon buffer tank as well as the compressor in the same room. (Insulated and ventilator to reduce noise) Along with the air springs, the train car will be equipped with two home-made vibrators that I can vary the speed on, two 12Ē fans mounted to the front also speed controlled, chasing lights mounted outside and above that will increase and change in speed, and a conveyor belt of rocks (painted) that will change in speed as well (seen through two broken slats in the left wall) And the whole thing actually moves as it ďperformsĒ this sequence. It moves about four feet forward so you exit in a different location than you enter. Put all this together and hopefully youíll feel like you went somewhere. Iím using a large PLC to control all the effects and organize the sequence.

Thanks again for you thoughts,
    Mike

10. Default  
    Couple of things...

1) I guess I was assuming you were going to try some big haunt. I'm sure if you keep your budget low you can do well, but its when you try to go big you would probably suffer in that market.

2) I think we have a 80 or 100 gallon buffer tank on our swamp house and it still isn't enough. Its an air hog no matter how you set it up.

Its cool but hard on the air!

Good luck!

Larry

Thread Information