HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Live Band night of show

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Live Band night of show 
    A buddy of mine who promotes local bands offered to have a band available every night we are open for free to entertain the guests in line.

All we have to do is hang some posters and have the bands fliers available at the exit.

Any thoughts as to the pros and cons about this.

2. Default Boni 
    Even though you don't have to wait in line at Graystone Manor we have a house band out of Nashville that does wicked instermentals! They are known in October as the CornStalkers and they ARE LOVED BY THE CROWDS!!!!! I strongly suggest you go with it! Shane and its rock on! Shane this time!

3. Default  
    Sounds like a win, win situation...

4. Default  
    I wish we did not have a line! (Ok maybe I'm lying there)
    I believe any que line entertainment is worthy...

We are actually expanding on our 5-6 busy nights (1 hour wait) to assure we don't lose the crowd.

So definitely a cool thing to do - plus the bands will promote you since they are playing there!

5. Default Potential live band issue 
    Two potential issues could be power and audio competition between your band's PA and your haunt's sound design.

If the haunt's straight loud it may not be an issue, however, if you try for zoned audio and count on triggered sound effects the band may interfere with your design.

That and power managment would be the only issues I'd forecast.

The benefits seem to far outweigh the disadds. Any band, even the least known in a city, bring out some people you may not have otherwise sold a ticket to. If I were doing it I'd also have the promoter responsible for the PA, lights, and standard drum kit on site so that bands show up, plug in and play. Constant set up tear down is going to be taxing on your staff, as only the most seasoned performers are going to show up and not need anything from you.

I'm working with a local manager here in Nashville to get some bands for thursday nights next season, may or may not go with fri sat.

6. Default  
    Manitowoc Wisconsin www.nightmarefactoryhaunt.com
    Was talking with someone at hauntcon about this as I have had a band at my place. One thing they mentioned is that one should be aware of the effect a live band can have on your crowd. Heavy Metal Mosh Pitt music can get the crowd so wild, they are ready to fight in the q line and inside the haunt. On the other hand, this person had a James Taylor type of musician one night and the crowd was really lathargic.... Food for thought....
    www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

7. Default  
    I wouldn't do it...

1) Some people might hang out, I never want anyone hanging out. Once they go through we want them to leave. They tie up parking and resources to manage the crowds.

2) Bands usually bring drinkers or problems.

3) Its loud and will overlap with your attraction and could draw complaints from other business in the area.

4) Has nothing to do with Halloween. You want to set the tone the atmospere before they enter and what does some band have to do with that unless it goes with your theme.

Larry

8. Default I will still disagree and here is why. 
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrightner View Post
    I wouldn't do it...

1) Some people might hang out, I never want anyone hanging out. Once they go through we want them to leave. They tie up parking and resources to manage the crowds.

2) Bands usually bring drinkers or problems.

3) Its loud and will overlap with your attraction and could draw complaints from other business in the area.

4) Has nothing to do with Halloween. You want to set the tone the atmospere before they enter and what does some band have to do with that unless it goes with your theme.

Larry
    This all depends really on how your set up in Larrys case from what I seen at his haunt I can understand. But at Graystone Manor its rock on baby here is why.

1) They enjoy the band before they go in. Lots of times they come back in and spend some more$$$$$ They listen to the band. Then they get hungery and spend some bucks on food!!!!! If you have a concession like we have and a food court like we have trust me you would love to accomidate them!

2) Heck Haunted Attractions in general bring in the drunks! I dont know what it is about wanting to get drunk and scared at the same time!

3) Depends on the size once you enter our haunt you cant even hear the band anymore. Make sure you have plenty of room for this. Graystone Manor does. If your free standing and don't have neighbors you want have a problem. Heck were right across the highway from a high school and they always have Friday night games and when they play at home they come in after the ball game and eat and eat while they listen to the band. This usually brings in more ticket sales.!

4) True it dont really have anything to do with Halloween but if did right like the Cornstalkers and blend in with the attraction it WORKS!

Again like anything it really comes down to the room and if you can benefit from the band. In our case WE DO. Shane and its you really just need to see if it can work for you! Shane this time.

9. Default it also depends upon 
    it also matters what type of band.
    Myself and my haunted house had a stage set up outside of my haunt where we came up with a really cool concept. I ha dmy organ and 3 synthesizers dressed as a ghoul and All the music I played live outside was ricoched through the house via small speakers. Created great que line entertainment. Provided a different haunt Expereicne each time as well as promoting myself and something unique about my haunt,
    Robert J. Frankenberg

10. Default  
    Something to think about....

No matter what genre of music is played you're not gonna "entertain" everyone.

A lot of people hate metal, punk, country, hip-hop, reggae, etc.

What is entertaining to some is just plain annoying to others.

Waiting in line for an hour or more is bad enough without having to listen to music you absolutely hate.
    Guerilla Haunter

Thread Information