HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Using Copywrited Material in a Haunted House

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default  
    Sad... -Tyler

PS: For anyone who hasn't been to HHN... it's not scary, not at all. The sets are AWESOME, the designs are WAY cool, but actors SUCK and it's not scary. Maybe to the GP, but I didn't think it was scary at all.

2. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahaunter View Post
    Well Universal has just announced their line-up for HHN this year:

drumroll...

Saw (which everyone knew), Chucky (Child's Play), and The Wolfman. The theme is Ripped from the Silver Screen.

Not sure how they are going to make Chucky scary, but we'll see.

Gahaunter
    FREAKIN AWESOME!!! That's what I'm talking about. They put SOOOO much work into developing original stuff every year. They'll do everyone of those themes justice...I'd put money on it.

If anyone goes, which I'm sure SOMEONE on here will, let me know how it is!! I want to TRY and go this year, but I don't know if it will happen.
    O'Shawn McClendon
    Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

3. Default  
    How can you have any kind of continuity if you have someone else's character? I don't understand how an iconic character can just "fit in" Unless you have the most sinister character ever conceived how could any of the major villains fit into just one scene? At first we just ran with the simple idea that the land was haunted. After a few years we came up with our own icon whose spirit infected the land with his foul spirit, and drew evil to the area.
    . . . Experience the Agony

4. Default As Soon As Everyone Finds Out.. 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    About the hideous massacre and blood play in the costume aisle at Wal-Mart then everyone will be rushing to buy those el-cheap-o masks ..because then they will be considered So Scary!
    A former employee (an" Associate") remained successfully hidden in the costume rack, striking out randomly , killing countless customers quietly for days and nights on end, hiding the body parts by hanging them from the ceiling where almost nobody would notice them.
    His blazer said on it:"How may I kill you?"
    There.
    See?
    I just provided a storyline to make those cheap Wally-world masks scary for any haunt to be able to use, all you have to do is tell the story first. I know, telling a story takes time, and telling a story well takes talent...just like everything else in this life.

Did the Baby mask in the movie "Brazil" scare any of you? Remember it? The lunatic torturer wore it as his victim was strapped in a chair, this made that mask scary for me.
    We learn it or have to be taught it..fear and just what to fear.

5. Default  
    MORAL: Copyright....everyone has their own take on this, many will not steal an image from a fellow haunted house but their IPod, and PC are full of copyrighted material downloaded from the internet. Some will not steal and anything they consider art worthy ie; music, pictures, and such...but computer programs are made by mean nasty corporate giants and using there stuff is ok.

LEGAL: So there is the legal question of copyrighted material...if money is involved you can bet that the owner of the copyright will see it as an infringement...if it takes away from their brand...infringement. In fact to keep their brand they will always go after infringement and will file on almost any use of their material, to not do so jeopardizes their copyright.

I would also be willing to bet that all of us got our start in a haunt with an iconic character in it, maybe some black plastic, strobes everywhere, Halloween theme playing in the background over dad's speakers...when did we get so damn elite that we cant take some enjoyment at the...yes not professional...yes not even home haunter...but the regular ole joe or kid that is just trying to add a little fun to his or her neighborhood or town.

To finish, legally no its not legal, morally...that is a bit more gray and depends on who you ask, artistically...again depends on who you ask and how you do it. But back in the 80's I had alot of fun with those iconic characters, nothing beat 2lbs of flour, water and oil applied directly to the face with food color to make it look burnt...waaalaaa my Freddy Krueger, downside was the dyed face from red food color.

In the end you have to decide what kind of haunt you want to be and how you can best entertain your customers...in the end that is the only question that really matters.

Thread Information