HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Using Copywrited Material in a Haunted House

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default  
    I've done no 180... If an ENTIRE attraction is centered around a movie with the looks, feel and theme as the movie... for example: the saw haunt. The entire haunt is played off the movie.

But what I'm saying here is that when a haunt mixes the two or has "movie characters" sparingly through the haunt and they are "just there". That's lazy.

Now, don't even bring up that this is what Universal did with their haunts totally themed and dedicated to the movies. Universal has year after year produced brand new, unique icon characters... stories... haunts... etc. etc. Then all of sudden does an entire event based on movies? WTF! Talk about taking the year off!

LAZY!!! -Tyler

2. Default  
    That is also what Gyro's (California) kinda did last year and it was actually quite good and professional. I was just talking about the legality of it and i think i found my answer. Anything can be made very good (and very bad too) =)

~Natethegreat
    www.Fearoverload.com

3. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightgore View Post
    Now, don't even bring up that this is what Universal did with their haunts totally themed and dedicated to the movies. Universal has year after year produced brand new, unique icon characters... stories... haunts... etc. etc. Then all of sudden does an entire event based on movies? WTF! Talk about taking the year off!

LAZY!!! -Tyler
    NOT FAIR to throw Universal under the bus. They did, after all, begin the movie monster genre. Frankenstein, Dracula...UNIVERSAL. I agree, they have come up with amazing events and characters, however, because they revert back to what they became FAMOUS for, doesn't mean you should lump them in with other low budget haunts. And LOW BUDGET is what you should refer to haunts that use masks as. I say this because they DON'T have the means to go and drop thousands of dollars on latex or silicone masks and the like.

4. Default Agree with Rich 
    The idea of using movie characters has many pitfalls including the legal infringement on the originals. Most times the haunts cannot live up to the originals.

I have been involved in haunting since 1986 and the industry has changed tremendously. In 1999 we went to the theme of the hotel but still lacked a storyline that was outstanding. Several years ago, we had two very talented guys develop the storyline, complete with the main characters and 302 total options as that is how many perished in the storyline. We can allow our actors to develop their own character as long as it is relelvant to the 1904 time frame we have set.

The beauty of your own story and characters is that the customers do appreciate the effort put into it. If you want to check out our website, it has an awesome opening video and many details of the story.
    Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
    Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Haunted Cave, Fort Wayne Indiana

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.facebook.com/hauntedcave

5. Default  
    Freak?
    "And LOW BUDGET is what you should refer to haunts that use masks as."
    Freak what kind of masks are you referring to? If not latex or silicone? Lots of shows use latex masks and a blend of latex ,silicone ,and Make up is In my opinion the best way to go. Latex masks are a great option for costuming depending on the character you are trying to portray.
    I suppose I should not bristle to much, I suppose that "The Trail of Terror" (my show) is a low budget show, but the park Im director (SCREAMS) of is not a low budget show. Both use masks and make up.
    Allen H

6. Default  
    Ok here is my 2 sense and know that I am new here and a mere pion in the haunt industry being just a haunter. As i read all the arguements i see how using movie characters can take away from the haunt and me playing the part of a movie character you have opened my eyes to convince my boss to let me incorporate my character who ive spent 2 yrs developing and never jad the balls to use until now BUT! At my haunt we have completely detailed to the max sets devoted to Jason, myers and leatherface. On the hayride we have a huge camp crystal lake equiped with cabins bunks, tool shed and campers. Fllowed by a huge movie quality meat house with pigs squeals and meat hooks the hole 9 then an isane asylum haunted by. You guessed it myers! Now I no what your thinking how lame but our actors make it all worth it. Our Jason is 7ft tall 340lbs myers is 6'3 250lbs and I play leatherface 6ft1 300lbs. None or our costumes are NOT store bought all custom made to fit and the mask are molded, sculpted and custom painted by our creative directer who operates the grave yard prop shop all with his own twist. I think it's great that we use this but I would love to do my own thing. Everyone has there own opinion and there all valid. If it were up to me movie characters would stay imortalized where the belong on the silver screen but hey nobody is perfect. Sorry for the rant ladies and gents

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H View Post
    Freak?
    "And LOW BUDGET is what you should refer to haunts that use masks as."
    Freak what kind of masks are you referring to? If not latex or silicone? Lots of shows use latex masks and a blend of latex ,silicone ,and Make up is In my opinion the best way to go. Latex masks are a great option for costuming depending on the character you are trying to portray.
    I suppose I should not bristle to much, I suppose that "The Trail of Terror" (my show) is a low budget show, but the park Im director (SCREAMS) of is not a low budget show. Both use masks and make up.
    Allen H
    I apologize for not elaborating. I assumed it was implied by "masks" that I meant store bought masks from stores such as Walmart and the like; masks that have been licensed to the stores and are reproduced in an inexpensive, lower quality way. By no means am I referring to masks brought to the industry by big budget fx companies with hundred dollar products.

And second, I disagree with the fact people are saying no one will "live up to the characters". I don't believe most haunt TRY to live up to a mirror image of the characters UNLESS that is a theme of your haunt. If you decided to throw one of your characters in a completely random room with a freddy mask for a quick "boo" scare, then you are obviously not TRYING to live up to A Nightmare on Elm Street, HOWEVER, if you are marketing your haunt as such and you have the rooms, props and characters, THEN it would be fair to say most haunters don't live up to the original characters. But like I said...most haunters who use the "inexpensive walmart masks" aren't trying to convince everyone they are at Camp Crystal Lake with Jason Vorhees breathing down their necks. Just Sayin
    Last edited by freak 'n' stein; 06-24-2009 at 01:42 AM.
    O'Shawn McClendon
    Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

8. Default  
    I agree that if characters from movies, etc are to be used, they need to be done right, not in a "cheap scare" fashion....and they can actually be very good if the "scene is set" correctly.

~Natethegreat
    www.Fearoverload.com

9. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightgore View Post
    Rocky Point... 13th Gate... Universal Studios... it doesn't matter, still lazy! Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it! -Tyler
    If you had ever walked through Rocky Point you wouldn't be saying this. Their bone room for the TCM section was designed and dressed by the man that did it for the movie and the Pirates of the Scare-ibbean section rivaled any set Johnny Depp ever stepped foot on.
    Pain is just an un-avoidable side effect

10. Default Universal's announcement.... 
    Well Universal has just announced their line-up for HHN this year:

drumroll...

Saw (which everyone knew), Chucky (Child's Play), and The Wolfman. The theme is Ripped from the Silver Screen.

Not sure how they are going to make Chucky scary, but we'll see.

Gahaunter
    Last edited by Gahaunter; 06-26-2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information