HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: books and GUNS!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default books and GUNS!!! 
    well hello to all!!!

a little about me, i have been in the haunt industry for about 9 years as a actor. now i have been feeling it's time to move on. SO that way i can start my own.

any ways..

i am here to ask you, what book is better..

"The Complete Haunted House Book"

by Tim Harkleroad

OR..

Make Your House Everything You've Ever Haunted!

by Tim Harkleroad

i would like to know about this and see if i am making the right move here. I know that money can talk. Book 3 is about $30 and his first book you could hopefully find at maybe $150-250. so i know what i mite be buying but what's better...

now for the guns part..
    i have seen some blank guns for sale and just asking if any one has uesd them in there haunt or you seen them in action before.. or in all just stay away from them. Were you shoot the guns with blanks at the zombies or something like that. I don't know if it will be a bad or a good idea for that. Not only that but the cost for one and the bullets too. for one blank gun that i want will be around $200 and a box of 50 blank bullets will cost me $30.

i am really look in to this for my haunt. My haunt will not be opening for another 1-2 years. I thank you for reading this and i hope you have a good day.

HG

2. Default  
    I would not recommend using a blank gun or any gun in your show, you will recieve many opinions here, but the fact that you felt the need to ask should tell you its a bad idea.
    Allen H

3. Default  
    so why do you think it's a bad idea?? for me in my eyes..

one... yes it can be bad
    it will be to loud and some one mite get hurt too.

but..

i see it beening cool because your customers will feel like there in a real horror zombie movie or something like that.
    Last edited by hauntedghost; 06-27-2009 at 12:42 AM.

4. Default  
    We have only ever used shotgun. I believe the cost for shells have gone up a
    lot this year. We were paying $13 for box of 25. There are lower cost shells on market but the problem is most shotgun shells throw out a plastic or paper
    wad that could harm someone. Winchester popper shells lack this wad. Still, there is danger of the burning powder that shots out for few feet. Another thing to consider is distance between groups of people as the blast will give its shelf a way prior to next group of customers reaching the scene. An be sure to wear
    hearing protection.

You might want to look into a 22 cal training pistols from $19.00 to $100.00. One 22 Shorts blanks shells are discribed as loud for $12.75 per 100. Make sure they
    don't shoot out any wad discribed above.

5. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkSchaefer View Post
    We have only ever used shotgun. I believe the cost for shells have gone up a
    lot this year. We were paying $13 for box of 25. There are lower cost shells on market but the problem is most shotgun shells throw out a plastic or paper
    wad that could harm someone. Winchester popper shells lack this wad. Still, there is danger of the burning powder that shots out for few feet. Another thing to consider is distance between groups of people as the blast will give its shelf a way prior to next group of customers reaching the scene. An be sure to wear
    hearing protection.

You might want to look into a 22 cal training pistols from $19.00 to $100.00. One 22 Shorts blanks shells are discribed as loud for $12.75 per 100. Make sure they
    don't shoot out any wad discribed above.

Good info here.

A little more info, I'm sure Mark already knows this, but just to explain the wad projectile. In a normal cartridge, the bullet seated into the casing provides pressure for the powder charge to explode against.

In a squib or blank, there still has to be some way to pressurize the powder. Even if they only used wax or paper, there will still be a dangerous projectile for several feet down range from the fire.

I have considerable and lifelong experience with firearms and can tell you that using any type of firearm for entertainment poses more risks than it's worth. You would need a gun wrangler soley responsible for that firearm, you would also have to inform your insurer and you'd get baked on the premium, don't tell them, have an accident and lose everything you ever thought about having, because you'll default on your ins. contract.

I would advise against it.

6. Default  
    I think there have been a couple of actors killed by guns loaded with blanks.

7. Default  
    Get Tim's Book
    "Make Your House Everything You've Ever Haunted!"
    It's new and up to date. Full of good info.

Guns BAD BAD BAD idea
    (KID you could shoot your I out)
    Gary
    Midnight Evil Productions
    www.MidnightEvil.com
    Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
    www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

8. Default  
    "so why do you think it's a bad idea?? for me in my eyes.."
    Um ...its a gun, its made to kill things/people. I do not think you need it to scare people. there are a million reasons why its a bad idea, the only reason it is a good idea is because it is scary. There are a million other ways to scare people, so there is no need to do one that is risky.
    A trained bear charging the group would scare the heck out of them, but there is a risk so do not do it.
    Again, just my thoughts
    Allen H

9. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnc View Post
    I think there have been a couple of actors killed by guns loaded with blanks.
    This is correct.

Brandon Lee (Bruce Lee's son) was killed by a "blank" while filming The Crow. The gun wasn't loaded properly when a stage hand other than the firearms expert got involved with the prop.

John-Erik Hexum had the wad from a blank fired at his head at close range, and it penetrated his skull. He was on set filming a TV series called Cover Up.

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

10. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H View Post
    ... There are a million other ways to scare people, so there is no need to do one that is risky.
    A trained bear charging the group would scare the heck out of them, but there is a risk so do not do it...
    I agree with Allen's entire post, but I thought he couldn't have said it better than by using the trained bear example. Look what happened to Roy of "Siegfried and Roy" after all of the years of performing the same routine with his precious pet tigers. Just one accident is all it takes.

Just because something is scary doesn't mean you should use it. People get killed every day with guns filled with blanks. One mishap is all it takes. Do you want to spend the rest of your life in jail for manslaughter?
    They call me PhReAk for a reason...

Thread Information