HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: books and GUNS!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default  
    i also heard that there is a gun were you can buy that runs off compressed air or something like that.. it does not shoot blanks at all. i don't know if this is ture or not. and by the way i am geting Tim's first book. the cost $150... iam seen the ways of the bad of this but i need to find a better way to do this.

the thing i am using it, is this.. there will be a big "thing" and there is army guys trying to shoot at it while your costomers are behind them in this walk way/ fox hole.

it will be something out like the cloverfield movie.

2. Default  
    Tim's first book, while great, is priced like that just because of its rarity. They hardly ever come up for sale so those who have them price them really high. I think his later books actually deal more with today's situations.

3. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntPhReAk View Post
    I agree with Allen's entire post, but I thought he couldn't have said it better than by using the trained bear example. Look what happened to Roy of "Siegfried and Roy" after all of the years of performing the same routine with his precious pet tigers. Just one accident is all it takes.

Just because something is scary doesn't mean you should use it. People get killed every day with guns filled with blanks. One mishap is all it takes. Do you want to spend the rest of your life in jail for manslaughter?
    yes i know, know......i just wish there was some way i can do with out the guns or find a prop gun with out useing blank too. i did buy tim's frist book and it cost me a nice $150 for it too. so i think i am going to hold on to it in tell i die or some thing like that. by the way has anyone read tim's frist book?? was it good or bad? i would like to hear what you say about it. thanks!!

4. Default  
    At The End Of A Long Forgotten Trail in Melrose, Fl.
    A blank gun can still kill if fired to close to someone, USE PROP GUNS ONLY!!!! As for not using any gun, to each his own.
    Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

5. Default Even blanks are dangerous 
    I was working in a "Girl-To-Gorilla" show many years ago, where we'd shoot the "gorilla" with a blank gun as it broke out of its cage. One day the flame from the barrel of the gun set the gorilla suit on fire.

The situation was immediately brought under control and no on was injured - but GO FIGURE.

And besides, some parts of the world the sound of gunfire can have all the mindless pukes pulling THEIR guns out ready to 'pop off a cap'. If you're not metal-detecting them upon entry to your event, there is THAT possibility.

If you were familiar with some crowds out there these days, you wouldn't even CONSIDER using a prop gun as an effect.

6. Default now i know why... 
    well after much thinking of this little idea in my head. I will not do the guns at all. i will try some other way of doing this. maybe fire??? just kidding.. any ways i thank you for your in put on this and i hope i can fix or remake this idea i have goimg in my head of mine.. you never know i mite have something bigger and better!!!!!

7. Default  
    There are quite a few air guns/cannons out there. And you can find plans for making them yourself. Some of them depend on the noise for their scare, while others use the blast of air - touching your patrons without really touching them, in effect.

You still want to be careful with this. They are generally aimed low just for the startle. You want to make sure the area around it is clear. If anything gets kicked in front of it between groups it could shoot that object out the next time it fires.

8. Default  
    My two cents... Unless you're scanning all guests with metal detectors, there is a distinct possibility that some of your patrons will be armed with real guns (concealed weapons) when visiting your haunt. Some people don't go anywhere in public without being armed. Putting such guests into an environment where they might believe guns are being fired near or at them is risky business. People react in different ways to fear. I wouldn't recommend ever aiming a gun (even with blanks) at any kind of living target in a haunt. Now if you do utilize metal detectors, and can guarantee that your haunt is weapon-free, here is some advice regarding gunshot simulation via audio.

There used to be paragraphs here giving many tips for creating realistic gunshot simulations using sound design, but upon further thought about the subject, I decided to delete them. I think it's probably better to just leave guns out of haunts all together.
    Last edited by DarkTikiEntertainment; 06-30-2009 at 01:14 AM.

9. Default  
    I advise AGAINST the gun. Theres a fine line between scary/fantasy/entertaining and just too realistic. I find it not scary but threatening if i even see a gun in a scene. And I personally would react violently. It just puts a hard realistic edge on it in my opinion and isnt a scare, its a threat.

10. Default  
    Doc,
    your a genius, well said "its not a scare its a threat" thats a fine line we walk all the time. very well said.
    Allen H

Thread Information