HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Upper Torso with spine prop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Upper Torso with spine prop 
    Does anybody have a link to plans to build the prop like seen at the Ripleys haunted adventure. it has an actor that apperars as just an upper torso with a spine hanging down. I know its done with mirrors but any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dean

2. Default  
    Its pretty simple if you look at the pictures... if you need more help let me know.. This is a similar design just with a voodoo theme. Instead of a spine its a wooden pole.

3. Default  
    Got to be honest here....... I never ever even closely understood this version of the illusion! BLECH!
    Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

4. Default  
    You can see the picture here...( http://www.visualillusion.net/s.gif ) of how the illusion is constructed. With two mirrors angled, it will refelect the sides of the walls or box, thus hiding the body. I remember quite an old episode of Mr. wizard where he explained it using a head on a table, and the body below the table being hidden by mirrors. In the picture the letter "M" represents Mirrors at a 90 degree angle.

Here is another example, which better shows the idea:

And an even better description comes from the book:
    Magic: Stage Illusions, Scientific Diversions, Including Trick Photography
    and can be found through the link below. I recommend this reading to all halloween horror illusion fans, most of the tricks are from old old magic acts. I would read from page 69-73 to get the full description.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=-hQ...NIsVBGFINbGQEM

Hope this helps!
    Brod

5. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Or just hang one of Tuxedo Industries wonderfull signs below the rib cage that says "Ignore This For Total Effect!"

6. Default  
    Thanks for the info. I have one question how far up does the mirrors come? im assuming up to the bottom of the torso.

Dean

7. Default  
    Yes. It can be done with one mirror that goes from one side of the 'box' to the other, then angles backward 90 degrees from the top front edge (under the torso or table top) to the lower back edge of the 'box'. The mirror reflects the pattern on the sides and bottom of the box making it appear to be a complete empty box. It takes a little messing around with the patterns and viewing angles to get it to look perfect. The actor is leaning forward and may need to brace his/her weight on the same 'shelf' that is holding the mirror, so make it strong enough to take it. This looks best if raised above the viewer's head or below his waist (like under a table).
    ------------------------
    The child is grown, the dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb.

8. Default  
    Raycliff Manor Guest
    Welcome back Scarlett! Can't wait to meet you at TW!!!

Kel

9. Default  
    Very.....clean.....mirrors....

I've seen a couple times when the mirror has scuff marks on it, same with the glass on a peppers ghost, nothing kills the night more than someone thinking you're supposed to see the glass or mirrors.

"Johnny, do you see the ghost on the glass there? SCARY!"

"JOHNNY! Look, that monster is hiding behind those mirrors!"

10. Default  
    LOL! Isn't that the truth?

Long ago, my haunt mentors did a "Candy Man" bit where he appeared in the mirror. Naturally, it was a Pepper's Ghost trick. Sadly, somehow - a customer freeked and kicked the 1/2 mirrored glass hard enough to break it. The gag was ruined for the rest of the weekend until they could get to a hardware store and replace it.

-------------

Big Hugs, Kel! If we can't find each other in the Dark Zone - Can I look for you in the Crown Plaza Lobby?
    ------------------------
    The child is grown, the dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb.

Thread Information