HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

View Poll Results: to have bands?? Or not to have bands???

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • I go for it

7 50.00%
  • no bands

6 42.86%
  • I don't kno..

1 7.14%

Thread: Having bands playing at your haunt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Having bands playing at your haunt 
    Hello everyone

This is another thing i have to ask is this...

Having bands playing at you haunt and does it make you money or is it just nice to have at your haunt? I have been thinking about booking one and there just a small little band but they cost almost an arm and a leg for them.

what do you guys think?

2. Default  
    We had bands every fri. and sat. Not worth it. You think if you get popular bands they will bring more people. The people that come watch the band only and do not enter the house. It also ruins the effect of having a haunted house. My opinion.

John

3. Default  
    I agree with xtreme, more work and not enough crossover $. Most of the bands we can afford wont draw a crowd. It can work in some applications, but in general I say no.

Allen H

4. Default  
    Like anything alot of it depends on What type of event you are and how big you are. I have seen some of your more edgy type haunts do it, and it compliments thier show very nicely.

We don't push the envelope with our community and I don't trust bands to keep thier onstage vocabulary insinc with our atmosphere.

Our county fair has always had country acts, perform. For years people in our community have practically begged for a rock band. We finally got one two years ago, every other word on the mic was F*** . In spite of the band signing a contract that they would keep thier show family friendly, the profanity blasted across the fairgrounds. The kids watching the show didn't mind, but parents and grandparents on the midway were fit to be tied. Now were back to country, Thanks guys...

Another thing to consider, is that you can make all necessary arrangements and there is a good chance the band won't show. As a side gig we publish a local entertainment paper. The biggest complaint I hear from venues is that they can't count on the bands to show up. They book them, advertise for it and then Sat. night comes and no band. It happens all the time. I'm not saying that all bands are like this but there is a good chance it could happen to you.

For all of those who think that a contract is the answer, in most cases you are dealing with people who have nothing to lose, you can't get blood from a turnup.

Don't get me wrong, I love the live music scene. I jump at the chance to go see a band, I just won't do business with them.

5. Default "My Band Could Play Here!" 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Said my one employee.
    Great! Who would do your job inside the house while you were beating the drums?
    ...he hadn't thought of that.
    Bands not showing sounds like the old "Wacky-
    weed" is still out there , befuddling brain cells and feelings of responsibility.

6. Default Works for us! 
    At Graystone Manor we have a Nashville based band that becomes the Manor's house band the Corn Stalkers and our crowds love them. They do funkey, wicked instrumentals and the beats they put out gets our crowds really into the fun and experience of the haunt. I guess it all depends on each haunt in my case they add so much excitement its wild! Shane and its dancing Shane this time!
    Last edited by graystone; 07-27-2009 at 09:55 PM.

7. Default Making bands work for you 
    Quote Originally Posted by graystone View Post
    At Graystone Manor we have a Nashville based band that becomes the Manor's house band the Corn Stalkers and our crowds love them. They do funkey, wicked instrumentals and the beats they put out gets out crowds really into the fun and experience of the haunt. I guess it all depends on each haunt in my case they add so much excitement its wild! Shane and its dancing Shane this time!
    I absolutely LOVE this concept! This season, we're working on hiring a band to play most of our nights... in costume... in character... and even write a song or two for our attraction.
    The other half of the nights.. we try to book successful local bands. Keep your eyes open for bands who have radio station affiliations (maybe your local radio dj has a band? you can get some free plugs?) Go to the biggest rock club/ local bar with music... ask around... who draws a crowd?
    Overall... bands will not make you any money. If you are selective, they will definitely pay for themselves.
    Come up with a rock-solid contract (you can find them on the internet) don't pay anyone more than 50% up front...
    If you go with local bands (smaller garage bands) let them sell tickets for you... and they keep a cut...

hope this helps. If you have any questions... shot me an e-mail.
    Patrick@legendsofthefog.com
    Patrick Barberry
    www.legendsofthefog.com

8. Default ASCAP? Anyone? 
    Is that what it's called?
    A local bar here had to pay (according to the Judge) $7,000.oo because the fees werenot paid concerning the music royaltys.
    The band? They didn't have any money..or maybe current addresses?
    Whoops!

9. Default bands 
    what about if they were bands that were mainstream..such as rob zombie, manson, etc...Those are big names...yet it can be done...We have put this off until next season...or maybe two seasons lol...But were in the process of negotiating a few contracts with some well known groups...Local bands we wont mess with...not worth the time or money..save it up...and get a REAL group that WILL attract crowds...Your concert ticket...gets you into everything..haunts too!....

Just my thoughts...

Kale
    www.midwestfearfest.net

10. Default While on this subject.. 
    Anyone like to tell what their experience was like a few years ago when a bunch of haunts across the country hired "Insane Clown Posse?"

Thread Information