HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Pet Peeves!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default Peeves 
    LMAO Zodiac, I did something last night that makes me relate to what you said. A few of us actors went out haunted house hopping and when we first entered into the haunt you are in a large foyer, I was in the front and I just stopped and made everyone wait, I did not see anywhere to go that is open, so I figure they are going to talk to us first, then after couple of minutes you hear a growl to say "open the door" I never felt so stupid in my life and almost peed in my pants laughing so hard cause funny thing was on the flippen door it said open if you dare! Being an actor for many years I feel the same way as you. But something changes when you are on the other end. You lose all sense of smartness or direction. Something about being in that haunted house that makes us all stupid.
    ~WelchWitch

2. Default  
    I'm not sure if I understand the "Dont bring a date" pet peeve..

I'm not involved in any haunts this year, but will probably spend it reviewing haunts in the Chicago area since its been awhile since I've been here during the halloween season. I love haunts for the environment, love to go see how a haunt has flexed its creative hand through construction and costumes, and usually am difficult to scare (haha, but who can't be scared by the 'surprise' scares?). I just hope that my fascination by the industry/interest in rather a mask was latex or something else, won't be misconstrued as something else.

but yes, in the past drunk teenagers are usually the vain of haunt existence. As well as though who find it 'cool' to swear and insult actors when really they're just scared!

3. Default  
    Its not so much as a pet peeve as something I jsut dont get. Why do people pay to come in then hide themselves in their hoods. I will just stand out front and charge 15 bucks and cover their eyes for 30 minutes.

4. Default  
    Generally, I treat the 'I'm not scared' or 'You're not scary' folks as what they are--scared people who are too scared to admit it. If I've got them long enough I make them feel it.

And the ones that hide their eyes are a goldmine....

"Don't hide your eyes, I can help, just pull that hood back and let me rip them out.....then you'll never see anything scary again. I love to suck the juice from fresh eyes....the ones cook serves are too chewy, no pop!"

And a line that has served me well--

"You'd look gorgeous on the back of a milk carton......missing...presumed dead" and then some laughing and talking to yourself..."oh you won't be dead...but you'll wish that you were..." and then some laughter and a final rush to chase them from the room.

The peeve, the biggest peeve, are the hitters.

5. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by WelchWitch View Post
    LMAO Zodiac, I did something last night that makes me relate to what you said. A few of us actors went out haunted house hopping and when we first entered into the haunt you are in a large foyer, I was in the front and I just stopped and made everyone wait, I did not see anywhere to go that is open, so I figure they are going to talk to us first, then after couple of minutes you hear a growl to say "open the door" I never felt so stupid in my life and almost peed in my pants laughing so hard cause funny thing was on the flippen door it said open if you dare! Being an actor for many years I feel the same way as you. But something changes when you are on the other end. You lose all sense of smartness or direction. Something about being in that haunted house that makes us all stupid.
    Yeah, I could see that. lol. I think the annoyance at our guest is more the fact that we have giant letter's with an arrow painted so that after reading the directions for the button, you can see it in the monitor due to the fact that the camera is infrared, thus you know where to go and yet they still miss the point of the button entirely. I do love hearing them try to read it and replacing "monitor" with "monster" or "left" with "feet" or the such. They disorient themselves at that point, which is when I sneak up and kinda lurk there until they see me which (after they pick themselves up off the ground or out of the dark corner) is when I simply point them in the right direction.

6. Talking Pet Peeves!! 
    Among my favorites (?) are:

1) Big Caveman Boyfriend - We've all seen him, the one who looks like he spends 5 hours a
    day in the gym and has exercised every muscle in his body ex-
    cept the one between his ears. You make the statement to the
    group that they might get touched by some of the characters and
    Big Caveman Boyfriend goes "NO, no one touch woman! MY woman!
    Me HIT anyone who touch woman!". These type of guys rarely see
    the entire haunt, because they're getting hustled out a side exit
    2 minutes in.

2) Litigitous Princess - The one who's busy with an incredibly important phone call while
    you're talking and then goes "Whaaa?!" when you mention a
    certain rule that might somehow rock her little world. This is
    followed by the proclamation "I'll sue!!". THIS is the kind of
    person who has made me try to get the haunt owner to issue
    tazers to the cast members.
    "We all go a little mad sometimes..."

- Norman Bates

7. Default  
    LOL... tazers would add a new element to the scare.

"Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."

8. Default  
    The biggest haunt pet peeve for me is...

Actors who don't stay in their assigned scare spots & decide to roam the haunt leaving their assigned spot empty.

Every group coming thru a haunt deserves to get the same show as the previous group.

Our haunt has very little "DOWN TIME" between groups as we are a pre-ticketed event so there really isn't any time for actors to get bored.

Don't know why they do it but it still occasionally happens.

I blame it on MTV!

Tom

9. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by IHAUNT View Post

Actors who don't stay in their assigned scare spots & decide to roam the haunt leaving their assigned spot empty.

Every group coming thru a haunt deserves to get the same show as the previous group.

Our haunt has very little "DOWN TIME" between groups as we are a pre-ticketed event so there really isn't any time for actors to get bored.

I blame it on MTV!

Tom
    THIS.

I agree with that pet peeve TOTALLY. The haunt I work at is volunteer and thus uses the local high school to fill most of the spots, as we have 4-5 theaters in a former movie theater's worth of space and the first weekend we were operating, there were I believe 8 refunds we had to issue (and I won't get into the damage to costumes) to guests because ALL the kids had left their spots and were all in one box. 6 kids, and all 6 were sent home before closing the same day.

10. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by IHAUNT View Post

I blame it on MTV!

Tom
    The funny thing with this one in my experience is that it seems to be the veterans who are the worst offenders here. New actors tend to do what they are told, and are more concerned about whether they are doing a good job, or forgetting what they were supposed to do. Veterans get more bold and freelance more, including moving out of their areas to other areas.

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Thread Information